UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2023, 7:00 am   #1
hayerjoe
Hexode

Default Perpetuum Ebnar set down adjustment

hello everyone

firstly I must come clean and say I totally hate German decks, if one tiny thing is out of spec the whole thing fails to work, I'm sure the official German response would be "replace it with an in-spec part" , ja, but do you still stock parts from 1962? thought not. Right I've got that of my chest, now I have a question about a German deck

it's a Perpetuum Ebnar PE66. At first I quite liked this deck, but sure enough pointless German complexity snuck up on me and now once again I'm stumped. All I want to do is make the stylus landing point move outward by 2mm. With a Garrard, BSR or Phillips I'd screw a little screw in or out and job would be done, but not so with the PE

See instruction from the official manual. Part 32 is that thing with the screw, it mentions that set down position can be adjusted through the platter hole, so it MUST be related to that screw, but that screw goes in to a hole in the base and is totally unadjustable left or right (it's not in a slot etc)

anybody any ideas how to adjust the set down?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5659.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	271533   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5658.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	271534   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5657.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	271535  

"Hayer Joe, where ya going with that deck in your hand?" - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Old 15th Jan 2023, 11:30 am   #2
hayerjoe
Hexode

Default Re: Perpetuum Ebnar set down adjustment

so I worked it out. I simply could not see how that bar with the screwed block could have any impact on the stylus dropping point, and it didn't. the problem was that the scan of the manual was not too clear (see attached) and the actual adjustment is deep Iinside that little hole to the left of the orginal suspect. In the hole is a small loop of metal that you bend inward or outward to alter the dropping point. so now my stylus is dropping exactly where i want it to

thanks for listening!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20230115-172043.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	271538  

"Hayer Joe, where ya going with that deck in your hand?" - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Old 15th Jan 2023, 11:35 am   #3
hayerjoe
Hexode

and for the record it's Perpetuum Ebner (not Ebnar) who were bought out by Dual in the late 60s, then went defunct, but have now been relaunched and are a making high end decks in Germany again, and are no doubt overly complex

Old 15th Jan 2023, 1:33 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Well done!

I've not had much experience of German decks, just the Dual 505 etc, which I have to say, have not been at all unpleasant to work on.
Old 15th Jan 2023, 1:50 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

I have considerable experience with Duals (10xx and 12xx series) and on the whole they're not too bad once you get used to them. The 12xx series has in fact fewer parts than a BSR c-series changer. Occasionally though, you get a real awkward problem, so I fully understand your anger!
Old 15th Jan 2023, 9:40 pm   #6
hayerjoe
Hexode

thanks fellas. I think my frustration is particularly acute as I've told many many friends that the most Zen thing I do in my life is stripping a totally jammed BSR and getting working as good as new within 2 hours. 2 hours spent out in the garden on my veranda, sun shining, birds tweeting, just me a heat gun, meths and cotton buds... bliss! juxtapose that to my 10+ hours trying (unsuccessfully) to fix a Dual 1010 on a cold winter's night (2 nights actually), so yes ive been mentally scarred. Actually think a spring was missing and the 9000 page manual was not entirely clear!

Old 15th Jan 2023, 9:45 pm   #7
hayerjoe
Hexode

from the viewing count a fair few people were interested in this PE, not sure if it's well known, but here is some info

I got it to work on because the owner had just had it returned from the previous repairer as 'unfixable'. I fixed it because, god help me, I think like a 50s/60s deck, and it was largely operator error that meant it looked like it didn't work

It's a bit quirky in use, but Ive seen similar methods before.

See photos. standard stuff, overarm but nowhere a record size feeler arm? or record size selector, interesting.

It doesn't seem to have a single manual record playing option, everything goes via the changer mech. You load a record on the changer spindle and move over the overarm. press the start button, the tonearm lifts and on the spindle a tiny little lever pops out about 8mm down from the balanced stack of records, the lowest record then drops 8mm to stop at that lever. the tonearm now moves over to that single trapped record and bumps it to work out its size, it then backs away by 10mm, the trapped record then drops to the platter and then the tonearm comes in again and lands at the start of the record! very entertaining

hope this has been of interest to people
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_5660.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	271558   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5662.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	271559   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5663.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	271560   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5664.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	271561  

Old 15th Jan 2023, 10:15 pm   #8
joebog1
Banned

It looks like you store your records on the dirt floor of the garage .

Good story

Joe
Old 15th Jan 2023, 10:57 pm   #9
hayerjoe
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
It looks like you store your records on the dirt floor of the garage .

Good story

Joe
yes looks terrible, very rough 'outdoor' test single, it's never used under any power! But I think it looks bad due to the low early morning sun coming through the fence, just took attached and looks fine (ish) or 'mint' as they say on e-bay!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_5665.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	271564  

Old 16th Jan 2023, 12:48 am   #10
ben
Dekatron

I still remember the first PE deck I picked up from a Frankfurt fleamarket for next to nothing in the mid 1990s, and being rather baffled by its lack of a manual operation! As you say, everything went via the changer. I only had the short spindle too, and there was no overarm, so it made still less sense! I played with it for a while then got rid of it. I still have the nice Pickering blue magnetic cart it came with.
Old 16th Jan 2023, 10:05 am   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I've yet to encounter a P-E deck in the UK. I think they were fitted to some imported German radiograms, but it was much more common to find these with Garrards here.
Closed Thread