UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jan 2023, 3:47 pm   #1
Dr Croc
Diode

Question Alba Solid State Record Player

Hi Dr Croc here. A newbie

I'm reliving my youth and purchased this for next to nothing.
Can anyone tell me what model it could be?
I would love to give it a service if possible. It is working ok but has a slight squeal when turning on occasionally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7439.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	271473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7440.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	271474  
Old 14th Jan 2023, 4:03 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Alba Solid State Record Player

This looks like an early transistor model from 1965. The deck is a BSR UA25. Is the squeal coming from the speaker or the deck? If it's from the deck on start up, this is a common problem with this autochanger. If it's basically working OK, then don't attempt to "give it a service" just for the sake of it. What skills do you have with these?
Old 14th Jan 2023, 5:19 pm   #3
Dr Croc
Diode

Hi Edward

It is from the deck. I have no skills with record players at all. Plenty of skills on mechanics and electrics on motorcycles though.. lol

Should I just leave it as it is? Will it get worse or better with use?

Is there a download manual you know of?

I won't mess with it if you think it is better left.
Old 14th Jan 2023, 6:03 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If I were you I'd leave well alone. But be aware a Service Sheet for the BSR UA25 can be downloaded from the "Service Data" link at the top RHS of this page. It might get better with more use. If you do decide to lube as per the Service Sheet, then use Sewing Machine oil, not WD40.
Old 14th Jan 2023, 8:26 pm   #5
slidertogrid
Octode

The squeal will almost certainly be coming from the motor. it is easy to lubricate the top bearing which may cure it. Just a few drops of thin oil at the bottom of the stepped motor spindle. then clean the spindle before use. To do the bottom bearing is also straightforward. Release the motor by removing the circlips undo the screws, (one side is a nut and bolt) observe the position of any washers. Then remove the bottom bearing. Wash out the old oil, a cotton bud is helpful to clean out any muck. Then re-oil the bearing and reassemble.
Rich
Old 15th Jan 2023, 10:02 am   #6
Dr Croc
Diode

Thank you very much for your feedback. I will download the manual for future reference and monitor how the squeal develops. You guys are awesome.
Closed Thread