UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Oct 2022, 11:39 am   #1
Phonosandradios
Tetrode

Default Degradation in recorded sound

A while ago I bought a couple of 16" lacquer disks which contained some recordings made for release on V disk. These were the original recording sessions and so I expected the quality to be fairly good but when I finally got around to transferring the contents into the digital realm and after a session through the declicker I was amazed at the sound quality especially when compared to that taken from the commercially released version.

The recording is of Benny Goodman and his orchestra playing "Its the talk of the town" which was a hit in 1946. So that you can hear the difference I have attached below a link to a you tube video where someone has done a good transfer of the commercial release and also a link to the transfer I have just done from the studio disks I have.

Interestingly the commercial 78 release was recorded on 30th January 1946 but my V disk session was a week before on the 23rd January. On the transfer from the lacquer disk the clarity is so good that at 2.50 in you can hear the musician playing the reed instrument blowing into it. Unsurprisingly there are also quite a few differences in the orchestration but also the vocals between the two different recording sessions. It is well worth listening to the you tube transfer up at least until the vocals start as that is where you can hear a real difference between the two different recordings.

As I understand it Columbia at this time (in the States at least) were recording their sessions on to 16" lacquer disks and once the best take was selected this was dubbed onto a master disk from which the stamper was made for the commercial release. This example just goes to illustrate how much sound quality was lost in the process at that time during this process.

You tube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4uaP5kZsvs

Link to v disk sound file:

https://app.box.com/s/3o8njil02z434i5ja4ywke8h2j0vjaod

I don't know if anyone else would find this of interest but personally I found it fascinating. I am currently working on transferring a christmas show produced by the Armed Forces Radio Service from 1945. It stars Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Judy Garland as well as other familiar names. It also features a live performance by Frank Sinatra singing "If I loved you". As it is a 2 hour show the declicking and polishing up of the sound is taking a while but I want to have it ready to share on my you tube channel in time for the festive period 2022 so it can be heard again in high quality audio after 77 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221015_105200.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	266151   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221015_105141.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	266152   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221015_110902.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	266153  

Last edited by Phonosandradios; 15th Oct 2022 at 11:56 am.
Closed Thread