UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2022, 2:28 pm   #1
phermansson
Diode

Default Need help with repair of Garrard SP25 mkIV

Hello!

I have a Garrard SP25 mk IV, used in a Fergusson 3434 chassi. The auto start didn't work, so I followed some guides to make it work again. And I got it to work, at least somehow. From the beginning the arm didn't move at all when shifting the lever to auto.
Now after some cleaning and lubrication it moves, but not as it should. It first lifts up as it should, but then moves way to far in. Then it moves back a bit, before lowering down and stays there. But not in the beginning of the LP, it's more like on track three. It also has problems getting the tablet to spin.
What can be wrong?

******************************iDYchmrBr15wY9Xv7
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221010_152416369_HDR.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	265900  
Old 10th Oct 2022, 10:33 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Need help with repair of Garrard SP25 mkIV

I suspect some hardened grease on the sliding plate, bottom right of photo. I'm sure I had this problem once, will give it some thought!
Old 11th Oct 2022, 6:58 am   #3
Kentode
Octode

Default Re: Need help with repair of Garrard SP25 mkIV

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

If you enter SP25 mark three into the search box at the top of the page there is an annotated diagram showing the area you're having a problem with.

Vinyl engine also has an SP25 MARK 4 auto cueing problem solving thread, which references this forum, so all the information you require is here, you just need to search it out .

Hope this helps.

This was my very first record deck, bought almost fifty years ago!

PS. If you search for Garrard sp25 buzz and weight adjustment, go to the second picture of post #11 for info on where to grease and oil. Remember, you'll have to remove ALL the old grease and make sure that ALL parts are free to move.

BVWS member

Last edited by Kentode; 11th Oct 2022 at 7:07 am. Reason: Additional.
Closed Thread