UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Oct 2022, 3:25 pm   #1
Pcspike
Triode

Default Would you sell 'as is'

Been doing some renovation work on my Sugden A21, (mk1 I believe) as I intend selling it on. When I say renovation, I mean the wooden case rather than the actual amplifier which is in excellent cosmetic and working condition. The veneer on the case was stained and scratched so I have refinished it and it is looking good again. I'm sure that you can understand my disappointment after completing the job to find that it has now developed a 50hz hum on one channel. I removed the case and checked for any loose wires and joints and all seemed fine. I suspect that perhaps one of the capacitors is failing.

My question is this, should I sell it 'as is' or should I attempt a repair? My thinking is, given that both channels are working there's not a lot wrong, probably a simple fix (if you know what you are doing). I would appreciate your thoughts.
Old 8th Oct 2022, 7:21 pm   #2
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Re: Would you sell 'as is'

Depending on the 'as is' situation it can reflect on the sale price to a smaller or greater extent depending on who takes an interest in it.

You would need to assess the cost of making it 100% against the potential sale price - only something you can determine.

A simple 'hum' issue could reduce the potential sale price by (in my experience) 10-50%. But that also depends on other factors such as rarity and desirability!
Old 9th Oct 2022, 8:02 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Fix it. A fault means a reduced price plus potential problems with a buyer. For the sake of an hours work and a few components making sure the amp is 100% means you can sell with peace of mind and makes the amp far more desirable.

50hz hum tends to be caused by ground issues, stray magnetic flux etc, 100hz is caused by leaky caps and what have you.

Andy.
Old 9th Oct 2022, 8:10 am   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

Fix it. The amount of interested buyers will be much larger and you'll get more money for it. It doesn't sound like it's going to be a difficult repair. And of course you'll get lots of help on here. Fix it!
Old 9th Oct 2022, 9:09 am   #5
joebog1
Banned

For myself, its ethics.
Otherwise sell used rusted out transportation machines, that are full of problems.

Joe

OHH you need VERY long pointy toed shoes.
Old 9th Oct 2022, 12:13 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

If you offer somerhing with an obvious fault, the most a sensible person will pay for it will include an allowance for the worst-case repair, every time. If you repair it you will probably face the cost of the average repair.

In the long run, it is worth repairing. Human psychology and statistics are on your side.

David
Old 9th Oct 2022, 4:28 pm   #7
paulsherwin

However, it does depend on your skill level. Much of the value of classic vintage amps depends on originality, so any repairs have to be done well with appropriate components. If you attempt to repair it and finish up with a bodge, the value is likely to be less than selling it with a declared known fault.
Closed Thread