UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2022, 7:42 am   #1
amberinajayne
Diode

Default Open this up? ALBA hifi

I can’t seem to figure out how to lift up the turntable. I’d like to have a look underneath and give it a little clean. It doesn’t have any C-clip. There’s an arrow pointing and it looks a bit different there. But I can’t figure it out. Has anyone got an idea? Thanks so much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BA4C12A4-A38C-4A7D-AE70-463573BE17D6.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	256632  
Old 5th May 2022, 9:13 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Open this up? ALBA hifi

Is this a modern player with USB or Blue Tooth?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 5th May 2022, 10:28 am   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Most of the modern ones I’ve had just lift off, but they had metal turntable platters (Technics SL-5). Have you had a look from underneath?

Regards
Lloyd
Old 5th May 2022, 11:40 am   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

I seem to remember that there IS a c-clip, but you have to remove the aluminium disc in the centre to get at it. Be careful though, those discs are usually glued down and are easily distorted.

Barry
Old 5th May 2022, 3:34 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

I've seen a few where the turntable spindle goes right through and the C clip is underneath but you have to remove the whole deck to get at it.
Old 5th May 2022, 4:02 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

If it is one of the ones with a USB interface, the target market was people with a record collection in the attic who had a whim to start listening to their old LPs and singles again. They were expected to use the turntable to play through everything once and keep the resulting MP3 file on their computer for future listening.

Consequently, the turntables were not built to take a lot of use, nor were they built for high quality sound.

So there may not really be anything that's gone wrong with it, they were made to minimal quality standards and not for a long life.

As it's a fairly recent product, I think it's unlikely that it's something you have any emotional connection with, so you have an alternate escape route... There are many many far superior turntables from the 1980s on the go or gathering dust in attics. Some of them have famous names, famous reputations and silly high prices. But the many of the ones without the reputations are still rather good (sometimes just as good) and are cheap, sometimes dirt cheap. The same thing goes with amplifiers and speakers. If you know what's worth having, what's rubbish, and what's overpriced, you can put youself together a very good record playing setup for pocket money. Some decent items change hands on this forum as freebies. This is a good forum, for impartial advice on what's worth having and what's best avoided. Too much of the hifi world on the internet is cultist, so this is a calm oasis where good engineering and repeatable science are OK.

There is the old joke that a man asking for directions for how to get to some place was told "Sure, If I was wanting to go there, I wouldn't start from here..." Similarly, if you want a turntable to give a good sound and to last well, that one isn't a good starting point.

David
Old 5th May 2022, 6:59 pm   #7
Audio1950
Dekatron

The turntable must be easily removable in order to replace the belt.

Barry
Old 5th May 2022, 7:14 pm   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
The turntable must be easily removable in order to replace the belt.

Barry
I wouldn't be so sure of that these days! So much stuff has built in obsolescence.
Old 8th May 2022, 3:21 pm   #9
PJL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
I've seen a few where the turntable spindle goes right through and the C clip is underneath but you have to remove the whole deck to get at it.
I repaired a similar Sony cheap plastic deck. The platter was a taper fit but stuck firmly on and the 'bearing' was seized solid. I undid a nut underneath that released the whole assembly and then had access to use penetrating oil and some brute force.
Old 9th May 2022, 1:02 am   #10
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
I repaired a similar Sony cheap plastic deck.
Yes, I did one a while back and it was fixed from below. What I remember was that the bearing washers have two different diameter holes in them and MUST be assembled and 'located' in the correct order. It turned out that someone had been there before to probably replace the belt and got them in the wrong order, which was causing the platter to vibrate as it rotated in a horrendous manner!
Closed Thread