UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2012, 1:19 am   #1
nayo303
Retired Dormant Member

Default 1975 Hitachi SDT -2690R Record Player, speaker troubles

I recently inherited this awesome piece of equipment, it hasn't been played for about 5 years but hadn't been moved either until recently. Unfortunately I didn't inherit the manual and have absolutely no idea how to attach the speakers
Please help...
Old 4th Mar 2012, 1:38 am   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 1975 Hitachi SDT -2690R Record Player, speaker troubles

Hi,

Has it not got a row of those little sprung wire clamps with coloured toggles on its rear? If so there'll be two per channel; you just lift the toggles, insert the bare-ended 'speaker wires and flip the toggles down again.

I'm not familiar with the 2690R though and I think some Hitachi efforts used a DIN type 'speaker connection. If this post doesn't help, or other members can't, post a picture of the rear of the machine and we can then soon tell you.
Old 4th Mar 2012, 3:20 am   #3
nayo303
Retired Dormant Member

Darren,

The cords themselves have a two-prong head that fits into the back of the record player, but it's the end to the speakers I'm having trouble with. They're just split copper wire (about 12 tiny wires in each) and at the speaker is two holes (horizontally) with screws in them. How is this supposed to go in?
Old 4th Mar 2012, 3:32 am   #4
nayo303
Retired Dormant Member

I've done some research and it's a female 2 pin DIN socket and a male 2 pin DIN cord with just exposed copper wire at the end of the cord. How do I fit this into two holes in a speaker?
Old 4th Mar 2012, 10:00 am   #5
vinrads
Dekatron

I think the speaker sockets are the DIN type ,you can get the plugs either solder or screw type.

Try Ebay there are loads on there both types.

Last edited by vinrads; 4th Mar 2012 at 10:06 am.
Old 4th Mar 2012, 10:39 am   #6
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: 1975 Hitachi SDT -2690R Record Player, speaker troubles

Hi,

Whatever type of connections are used, it's important that the two speakers are connected in phase. The leads should be colour coded with a red and black core or a tracer colour. Both speakers must be connected the same way round otherwise the bass will be lacking and the stereo "image" will be absent.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious. If your not sure, you can reverse the connection to ONE of the speakers and see which sounds best. If you use a mono record or radio station, the sound will appear to come from a point mid way between the speakers when they're correctly phased.

Hope this helps,
Cheers, Pete

Last edited by Tractorfan; 4th Mar 2012 at 10:43 am. Reason: More info.
Closed Thread