UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2012, 8:47 pm   #1
tim.norris
Hexode

Default Philips cd 100 help needed

Hi, ive just joined , ive recently acquired an early philips cd100 player ,(although the drawer/lid mechanism is missing) have managed to get it working in a fashion although it needs to warm up first to get going properly , miss tracking , channel distortion etc , but once its up and running it sounds great ,very musical not harsh and grainy . even when its warm i get the odd intermittent crackle and distortion. does anyone know of a cure for these problems and any sources of spare parts ?
thanks in anticipation, tim. Blackburn Lancashire.

Hi, I've just joined, I've recently acquired an early Philips CD100 player, although the drawer/lid mechanism is missing, I have managed to get it working after a fashion although it needs to warm up first to get going properly and suffers from mistracking, channel distortion etc. Once it's up and running it sounds great, very musical not harsh and grainy. Even when it's warm I get the odd intermittent crackle and distortion. Does anyone know of a cure for these problems and any sources of spare parts?

Thanks in anticipation, Tim.
Old 27th Feb 2012, 9:06 pm   #2
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: Philips cd 100 help needed

I have a CD100 too which suffered from having to 'warm up', and then performing poorly. The cure was to replace the electrolytic capacitors around the power supply regulators. Two of them, in particular, form a voltage doubler and are thus working fairly hard. If you are confident with soldering printed circuit boards, it's an easy and cheap fix. The parts are standard off-the-shelf capacitors.

If the lid mechanism is missing, then presumably the disc isn't clamped to the turntable by anything. I would expect that to lead to errors during playback as the disc might occasionally slip on the turntable.

Chris
Old 27th Feb 2012, 9:47 pm   #3
tim.norris
Hexode

Default Re: Philips cd 100 help needed

Thanks Chris, I'd be fairly confident in replacing the capacitors. I would just need a bit of help identifying which ones to change and with what type.
regards,

Tim.
Closed Thread