UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2012, 10:52 pm   #21
maninashed
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Vintage PA Grampian type UA ENSA

It states on the circuit diagram that the amp has a 12watt output, but I think that may be a little optimistic! There is no o/p spec relative to the input sensitivity.
Bill
Old 27th Feb 2012, 8:55 am   #22
Neil Purling
Nonode

I was wondering about the input sensitivity.
Grampian would have to quote it for their products. How else would you be able to choose the right microphone, or check a gramophone had the right pickup.
After you restore this, you would like to have a use for it.

That ceramic former the dropper resistance is on......... It has spiral grooves to keep the turns separated?
Were the wires always bare, or should they be hidden under another layer of ceramic to insulate them?
Is rewinding (with suitable resistance wire) an option if you cannot get a fixed resistor of the correct value?
Old 27th Feb 2012, 11:21 am   #23
maninashed
Rest in Peace

The amp is descibed as 12watt on the cct diagram, but I think that may be a little on the optimistic side. I dont know what the sensitivity is for full output yet and wont do until its working again, but that is definitely the original mike, so I presume its designed for that level of input. Someone may have the specs of the mic, maybe they could help out. Still looking for that elusive big dropper.
Bill
Old 27th Feb 2012, 4:05 pm   #24
julie_m
Dekatron

12 watts isn't unreasonable, as the two output valves are rated for 9W each.

There are forum members who have the ability to wind custom transformers, which would take care of the potential safety issue and the dropper at a stroke. Might be worth asking in "sets and parts wanted".
Old 27th Feb 2012, 6:01 pm   #25
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Being an ENSA model, this was probably designed to meet specifications provided by the Association, rather than the other way round, so chances are that they were never published as such.
Closed Thread