UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Oct 2022, 11:20 am   #21
Simondm
Pentode

Default Re: Vintage and modern CD players - compliance with Red Book standard?

@James, You're right, of course the 'tracks' are only markers really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave solder View Post
VLC Player always insists on putting a gap between tracks when playing MP3 files, a workaround has been long promised but has never been implemented.

I now use FooBar2000 and with this it is possible to set the gap to zero so maybe it will work when playing back this particular CD too.

It works great on ripped Pink Floyd albums.

https://www.foobar2000.org/
Thank you, I shall try it, although I suspect in the case of Porgy, the track markers themselves are 'unhelpful' in that they are probably 2s apart too. I'm not sure but I have a feeling you cannot directly abut them - you certainly cannot put both start and finish on the same frame (trying to remember back 2+ decades!).

I will certainly try foobar to see, however!

Funnily enough, following the replies yesterday I was thinking about other CDs with inter-track audio, and the CD re-release of Dark Side of the Moon came to mind!
Old 13th Oct 2022, 12:33 am   #22
jamesperrett
Octode

You certainly can have the end of the previous track and the start of the next track at the same point and this is probably how track markers are most commonly done these days. The end of a track is actually marked by the index 0 of the next track. The start of a track is marked by the index 1 of that track. However, the use of an index 0 is optional and I rarely use it on CDs that I master. So most tracks end on the index 1 of the next track.

The one time that I might add an index 0 is when I'm putting a live album together. The chat between songs would often go between index 0 and index 1. If you are playing the CD all the way through you will hear the chat but if you are just playing individual tracks, you will only hear the music and not the chat.

There are also various tricks for hidden tracks - one of which is to put the hidden track between index 0 and index 1 of the first track. A CD normally starts playing from index 1 of the first track but there must be an index 0 for the first track which must be at least 2 seconds before the index 1. However, you can make the gap between index 0 and index 1 as long as you like so you can fit a whole song, or more, in that gap but the only way to hear that song is to use the rewind button on your CD player to go back past index 1. Of course, this doesn't work with all CD players.
Old 13th Oct 2022, 12:40 am   #23
Simondm
Pentode

Thanks James.

I remember that CD Architect insisted on putting a 2s gap before track 1, and I've done similar things with live but not-always-wanted stuff in inter-track gaps.

My memory is going - in my defence it was 25+ years ago and I didn't do a lot of mastering (unlike many hundreds of hours of tape editing as a sprog!).
Closed Thread