UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2022, 9:54 am   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Dansette Hi Fi R/P guess what the cure was !

Having replaced a few resistors cleaned all controls and valve bases ,it worked but low volume ,due to the socket on the rear high resistant , so by passed all the sockets wired the pick up direct to the amp ,and speaker direct to the tx, I now had very good sound using a cartridge from China ,all was well ,err no next time I tried it I had very low audio on touching the stylus it burst into life again ,do I have a faulty cartridge that was my first thought ,so tried another cartridge , worker fine until next day it had the same fault! Ha there is a mute switch under the deck ,that was ok , A clue to the fault is all the metal work had a whitish coating on it ,I guess it had been stored somewhere damp ,guess what was causing the fault. Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0084 (1).jpg
Views:	137
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	257024  
Old 12th May 2022, 1:57 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette Hi Fi R/P guess what the cure was !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
all the metal work had a whitish coating on it ,I guess it had been stored somewhere damp ,guess what was causing the fault. Mick.
Metal whiskers - like tin whiskers?
Old 12th May 2022, 4:52 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Not tin whiskers! think high resistance . tried it today still working ok so I am confident that was the cause. Mick
Old 12th May 2022, 5:06 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Bad connection at the plug in headshell or tag strip underneath?
Old 12th May 2022, 5:17 pm   #5
vinrads
Dekatron

Hi Nick yes bad connection in the headshell well done , it took me a while I guess the extra sig when I touched the stylus overcome the resistance for a while , I am pleased to say it is still working ok today , Mick.
Old 12th May 2022, 5:24 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That is unusual, those headshell contacts rarely give trouble. But anything’s possible after damp storage!
Closed Thread