UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2022, 6:06 pm   #1
Doghouse Riley
No Longer a Member

Default My Rock-Ola 468 Grand Salon

I've had this jukebox for well over a decade.

It was a bit uncared for, when I bought it. It had been in private hands for over twenty years,
I had to remove layers of cigarette tar from the exterior surfaces and shampoo the bass speakers fabric. But other than that it was in good condition, I managed to get a "new old stock" graphic for it for a fiver from a jukebox parts supplier. The original, like most graphics, after decades, had gone mostly blue.
A good "lube job," was all it needed.

I filled it with 50/60/70/80s pop, ten Doo-Wop and ten classic standards.

The 443 next to it, I've had nearly as long, has Motwown, similar and R&B, a bit "girl groups of the sixties" but it's my choices.

I only occasionally buy records now, as to add a new one you have to take something out.

I noticed this recording mentioned on a "One Hit Wonder" thread on another board earlier this week.

It was a no. 1 hit in 1976, (the same year this jukebox was manufactured) They never subsequently managed to get anything in the top fifty.

Anyway, I hadn't heard it for decades, but I always liked the harmonies.

I noticed there was a copy on eBay for £3.99 with free postage.
So I thought, "hang the expense!" and bought it.

It arrived this morning, I printed up the title card and stuck it in, Stevie Wonder got relegated to my retro record rack.

There you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW6lZNXDiak&t=195s
Old 7th May 2022, 10:04 pm   #2
buggies
Heptode

Default Re: My Rock-Ola 468 Grand Salon

Can't comment on the boxes - but love the selection of records.
Old 7th May 2022, 10:57 pm   #3
nickdoofah
Banned

Default Re: My Rock-Ola 468 Grand Salon

Love all that electro-mechanical magic! As a kid jukeboxes fascinated me, they still do - My favourite is a late 70's or early 80's Rock-Ola! I used to live next to one on the pier amusements in Bognor Regis in 1982.....Some great singles on it too! I think I recall it had twin 15 inch woofers & sounded really good, I always wondered did it have a magnetic cartridge as it had a great dynamic range!
Closed Thread