UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2023, 6:52 pm   #21
terry123
Pentode

Default Re: Simon SP5 Hybrid Reel to Reel Tape Recorder Restoration

Yes an interesting yet quirky machine . Simons last gasp which by then, was under Harland Enginering ownership. I have had an SP6 model in the collection for some years and it came to me as a fully factory fitted stereo job from the off so a small number must have come out of the Kendall Place/George Street factory ready to go.

As an aside Major Frank Clarke of Clarke and Smith was a co-patentee of the EMI deck.

regards, Terry
Old 21st Mar 2023, 10:04 pm   #22
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangoromeo View Post

Thanks Lucien for the advice re capacitors. I had only previously come across the dual type as motor start / run capacitors installed for easy supply voltage conversion so your clarification is useful.
Dual metal can electrolytic capacitors are common on vintage audio equipment for use in the power supply reservoir/smoothing/filtering capacitor circuits. Less common but not uncommon are triple cans.

Motor capacitors that are often used with some tape recorder capstan motors are not electrolytic and are non polarised. If machine is dual frequency (50/60Hz) then there normally will be 2 run capacitors (typically in the same can). Typically when machine is switched to 50Hz the 2 capacitors are connected in parallel, when switched to 60Hz then only 1 capacitor will be connected in circuit.

A good example of this is the Akai 4000DS where the 2 run capacitors are 2uF and 0.5uF, so when switched to 50Hz the parallel combination is 2.5uF, when switched to 60Hz only the 2uF is connected. The 4000DS frequency switching also does a voltage switch, in 50Hz a 100V primary winding tap of the mains transformer is fed to the 2 capacitors and also direct to one of the motor windings. In 60Hz a 120V tap is connected to the 2uF and also direct to one of the motor windings.

Of course a change of frequency will normally go hand in hand with a change of mains voltage supply to the mains transformer, i.e. 60Hz would typically be 110-120 volts for USA whereas 50Hz could be 240 volts for UK as one example.

David

Last edited by DMcMahon; 21st Mar 2023 at 10:14 pm. Reason: Update
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 8:20 am   #23
tangoromeo
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40addict View Post
T

I'm sure Simon got the decks for a good price, but they don't really fit with the market segment their earlier machines were aimed at. I strongly suspect this, and the slightly strange looks, hastened the end of Simon.

https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?p=834649
I agree that it seems that Simon fell between 2 stools with this machine by trying to produce a professional sounding and looking deck whilst trying to appeal to the domestic market, however, they slightly missed the marl on both counts.
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 9:05 am   #24
tangoromeo
Triode

Thanks again to all of you for your information and advice.

Thanks David for clarification of the use of the dual capacitors.

Lucien - I will check the date codes as I get the components out but from what I can see all the Hunts capacitors are marked H H H (spaces between each letter).

I agree David that the board in the final picture is the power amplifier as the ERT Service Chart lists the 3 boards mounted on the bottom panel as Power Pack Assembly, Oscillator Assembly and Power Amplifier.
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 9:58 am   #25
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry123 View Post

As an aside Major Frank Clarke of Clarke and Smith was a co-patentee of the EMI deck.

regards, Terry
That`s interesting though there doesn`t seem to be much sign the deck was used by Clarke and Smith, they seemed to have mainly re-cased Ferrographs.
Old 16th Jun 2023, 11:23 am   #26
Station X

One post moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=201527

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread