UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2023, 1:49 pm   #21
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Revox B77 pinch roller arrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
Wouldn’t you have to put fresh metal on the capstan, then grind it to the required diameter before shotblasting?

I know it’s just a matter of a few microns, but we are talking of something that’s very very precise.
Not as far as I know - the idea of bead blasting is that it peens the surface without actually removing material.
Old 12th Mar 2023, 3:58 pm   #22
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
It might not be a matter of which way it rotates, but a reflection of which side should go towards the outside of the machine?

David
I agree.
I can't think of a universally understandable pictogram that could be placed on the top of an item that means "This side up" (IKEA instructions notwithstanding).
Using the rotation direction instead nicely sidesteps the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
It may also be that wear pattern of the bush might mean that if you had the wheel out, it would be best going back the same way.

David
I would probably put a sharpie mark on the top of any roller etc, just in case its orientation mattered.
Old 17th Mar 2023, 3:44 pm   #23
Kentode
Octode

Fresh rubber!

Just a quick picture to show the difference between a 44 year old pinch roller and a new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230317_134433.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	275184  

BVWS member
Old 17th Mar 2023, 8:00 pm   #24
TIMTAPE
Octode

As I understand it traditional rerubbering as I assume Terry does it, requires winding a long strip of new rubber onto the metal boss, vulcanising it so the wound layers melt into one mass, then lathing off the excess material on the sides and OD to final dimensions. If they had lathed off the excess side material how would Revox have placed a raised symbol on the sidewall, unless the tyre itself had been say injection moulded? Maybe by including the raised symbol, for whatever reason Revox were identifying the factory tyre as made in a way which couldn't be replicated by lathing.

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 17th Mar 2023 at 8:19 pm.
Old 20th Mar 2023, 12:10 am   #25
Analogue man
Hexode

The original tyre would indeed have been injection moulded.