UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2023, 5:21 pm   #1
ITAM805
Nonode

Default Gone to air?

Hi folks, have these old RCA 6550 gone to air? I ask because the emission tests ok, well the emission is down as one would expect on 50 year old valves from a guitar amp?

I should say the bloom looks worse in the pics than to the naked eye
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020121.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	275785   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020120.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	275786  
Old 26th Mar 2023, 5:25 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Gone to air?

They might be a bit gassy. They'd be whiter than that if they'd lost vacuum completely.
Old 26th Mar 2023, 6:04 pm   #3
GrimJosef
Dekatron

If you've got any kind of reasonable emission then there can't be a lot of air in the valve. It chemically changes the cathode coating as well as causing the heater to run cooler. The former really hurts the emission and the latter doesn't help.

If you just power the heater and then measure the grid-cathode voltage with a high impedance meter (a 10Mohm ordinary multimeter will do) you should find the grid becomes hundreds of millivolts or even a volt negative. It's a quick and dirty check for thermionic emission from the cathode.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 26th Mar 2023, 6:30 pm   #4
G.Castle
Heptode

Perhaps they've been red plated at some time and that's caused some out gassing, consuming some of the getter. I would continue to use them if they check out OK.
Old 26th Mar 2023, 7:05 pm   #5
ITAM805
Nonode

Many thanks for the replies chaps. I wasn't sure about the effects of a gassy valve, confusingly I have a 6L6 with apparently no getter but that still works?

GJ, thanks for the tip

Last edited by ITAM805; 26th Mar 2023 at 7:10 pm.
Old 26th Mar 2023, 8:54 pm   #6
Maarten
Dekatron

If there's not even a white trace of where the getter deposits once used to be, it likely has a solid state getter. Often a pill mounted on a tab somewhere.
Old 26th Mar 2023, 11:04 pm   #7
McMurdo
Dekatron

I would agree with G Castle post 4, probably been used with glowing anodes which have outgassed and stressed the getter somewhat. Hopefully if you fix that little problem they will live a bit longer.
Old 27th Mar 2023, 5:00 pm   #8
ITAM805
Nonode

Thanks guys. Umm, this isn't a nice job, no diagram and a 680V HT It's an AIMS, an early 1970's guitar amp from the US, 105W RMS so it says on the back panel.

It came with a popped T2.5A mains fuse (no HT fuse), it says it requires 117V on the back but the converter tx that the owner gave me is kicking out 130V, so I'm wondering if it's just being over-powered? Our mains down here is usually 250V
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020122.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	275880  

Last edited by ITAM805; 27th Mar 2023 at 5:28 pm.
Old 27th Mar 2023, 6:00 pm   #9
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITAM805 View Post
Hi folks, have these old RCA 6550 gone to air? I ask because the emission tests ok, well the emission is down as one would expect on 50 year old valves from a guitar amp?

I should say the bloom looks worse in the pics than to the naked eye
RCA never made a 6550 valve. No matter what name was on them, Tung-Sol made them all! The newer issues were straight sided.
It seems that the Russians are making the latest issue valves.
Dave, USradcoll1, as usual.
Old 27th Mar 2023, 11:07 pm   #10
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITAM805 View Post
Thanks guys. Umm, this isn't a nice job, no diagram and a 680V HT It's an AIMS, an early 1970's guitar amp from the US, 105W RMS so it says on the back panel.

It came with a popped T2.5A mains fuse (no HT fuse), it says it requires 117V on the back but the converter tx that the owner gave me is kicking out 130V, so I'm wondering if it's just being over-powered? Our mains down here is usually 250V
Just measure the heater voltage of the valves. If it's too high, you should use a small transformer in buck configuration in front of the step down transformer, or another step down transformer with a lower output voltage.

As a rule of thumb for an optimal valve life, heater voltage should be within 5% of nominal, or if that's not possible within 10% where -10% is usually better than +10% (not applicable here, but the exception to that rule are series string heaters, where current instead of voltage should be within 5 to 10%).

In any case, since the mains fuse popped, there's probably more important problems than just a somewhat high supply voltage. Maybe leaky capacitors, leaky valve holders, leaky valves, another leak or short circuit.

Last edited by Maarten; 27th Mar 2023 at 11:15 pm.
Old 28th Mar 2023, 8:51 am   #11
barrymagrec
Octode

If the correct fuse for 117 volts 60Hz pops regularly it could well be the very significant additional surge from running it on 130 volts 50Hz.

As above, check the heater volts.
Old 28th Mar 2023, 10:02 am   #12
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

Given the comments about the possibility of the valve anodes being run red at some point I would strongly suggest you check the bias on the 6550's. Does the fuse blow immediately on switch on or is it after the valves warm up?

http://www.retroworkshop.co.uk
Old 28th Mar 2023, 10:09 am   #13
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
RCA never made a 6550 valve. No matter what name was on them, Tung-Sol made them all! The newer issues were straight sided.
Dave are you saying Tungsol made them for RCA? Just that I'm looking at an original RCA datasheet for the 6550....

http://www.retroworkshop.co.uk
Old 28th Mar 2023, 1:47 pm   #14
ITAM805
Nonode

Quote:
If the correct fuse for 117 volts 60Hz pops regularly it could well be the very significant additional surge from running it on 130 volts 50Hz.
Thanks Barry, yes that was my thoughts too. The T2.5A have just arrived and I shall run the mains converter via a variac to achieve 117V output and see what occurs ...
Old 28th Mar 2023, 4:11 pm   #15
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJC58-Hythe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
Dave are you saying Tungsol made them for RCA? Just that I'm looking at an original RCA datasheet for the 6550....
RCA just bought and sold them! The datasheet was furnished by TS and RCA just copied it.
When looking at an RCA valve, there was a dot next to the warranty code, which is two letters meaning week and year the valve was made. It was usually guaranteed for one year.
Dave, USradcoll1
Old 30th Mar 2023, 4:24 pm   #16
ITAM805
Nonode

I inserted a variac before the converter so as to get 117V supply and the quiescent current is about 1A at the transformer primary, using a clamp meter. Winding the amp up with a sine wave this goes up to 2.2A with the output heavily clipping, so we're well into in fuse popping country if the amp was running at 130V mains.

The valves appear to be well under biased at 29mA at the anodes with a 568V* HT, according to online bias calculation it should be nearer 50mA at that voltage. This may be due to the valves being somewhat tired perhaps?

ps: my earlier report (#8) of a 680V* HT was with the 6550s out of circuit, so not a valid measurement
Closed Thread