UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Nov 2021, 9:42 pm   #1
Stevemor
Diode

Default Smiths street Clock which seems to have a stop/start problem.

Not sure if I’m doing this correctly but here goes. I’ve a doubled sided Smiths street Clock which seems to have a stop/start problem. It’s big & heavy around 36” dia but I’d love to get it back up and running smoothly
Old 10th Nov 2021, 10:57 pm   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Smiths street Clock which seems to have a stop/start problem.

Hi,
Some early electric clocks were not self starting. So, when they were powered up, a knob on the back needed a little push and a spin to set it going.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 11th Nov 2021, 1:13 am   #3
bionicmerlin
Heptode

Default Re: Smiths street Clock which seems to have a stop/start problem.

It’s not uncommon for some types of clock to have the the hand time set knob pulled down and let go to start the clock. It was also not uncommon for them to require this done more than once as they could be stubborn. Not sure if this applies to your clock.
If your not technically minded do the motors hum. It could be very quite but it will prove the motors are ok Andy
Old 11th Nov 2021, 7:49 am   #4
thermionic
Heptode

I’ve never considered this before, but how did they adjust the time on these large wall mounted street clocks? Was is a matter of getting up a ladder and adjusting the hands, or was there some mechanism for adjusting remotely?

Regarding the comments above regarding possible manual starting, then I would imagine that having to restart and adjust a large clock with a ladder would be tiresome!

Cheers.

SimonT.
Old 11th Nov 2021, 9:20 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hi Steve,
Have you a picture of the open movement?
If we see what sort and age it is we can give you much more info. Self-starting clocks only came into being in the 1930's.
Old 11th Nov 2021, 3:20 pm   #6
Robsradio
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermionic View Post
I’ve never considered this before, but how did they adjust the time on these large wall mounted street clocks? Was is a matter of getting up a ladder and adjusting the hands, or was there some mechanism for adjusting remotely?

Regarding the comments above regarding possible manual starting, then I would imagine that having to restart and adjust a large clock with a ladder would be tiresome!

Cheers.

SimonT.
Some were slave clocks which were driven by a master inside the building, others had the movement and hand adjuster inside the building with a shaft drive for the hands going through the wall to the dials.
Old 12th Nov 2021, 7:51 am   #7
thermionic
Heptode

Thanks Rob, that makes sense. I’m interested to hear more about the OP’s clock now, to see how his unit was adjusted & started.

Thanks.

SimonT.
Old 12th Nov 2021, 10:41 am   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
I’ve never considered this before, but how did they adjust the time on these large wall mounted street clocks?
Could it have been as simple as waiting for the correct time that was displayed on the clock and just turning it on? J.
Old 12th Nov 2021, 1:46 pm   #9
Stevemor
Diode

Hi everyone thanks so much for your help and positive input much appreciated. as mentioned previously the clock is a 1960/70s double sided street clock around 30" dia it starts to run with a humming sound and then stops perhaps a good mechanism lubrication is all that needed? have pics but can't see how I can add them can someone please advise..?
Old 12th Nov 2021, 5:20 pm   #10
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Follow (a different) Graham's guide here
Old 12th Nov 2021, 6:01 pm   #11
thermionic
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Quote:
I’ve never considered this before, but how did they adjust the time on these large wall mounted street clocks?
Could it have been as simple as waiting for the correct time that was displayed on the clock and just turning it on? J.
John …. 🥴. You may have it nailed! Simple but effective! Although, being a public clock I can image that the inconvenience of having to wait 11 hours to restart the clock when the hour goes forward would be best avoided.

( trying to defend my stupidness!)

Cheers. SimonT.
Old 12th Nov 2021, 8:11 pm   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That's certainly the way our huge 1940s Smiths clock on the front of the school hall was set.
Closed Thread