UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Nov 2021, 11:51 pm   #1
Richard_FM
Nonode

Default GU10 Halogen Bulb - Second Time Lucky

In my bathroom I have 3 fittings set into the ceiling, with a water tight screw on cover.

They have in a single halogen bulb with a GU10 fitting, but are longer than a standard GU10 bulb, which are too short to fit into the fittings.

A few months I had to replace one of the bulbs, interestingly one that had failed several years earlier, but after some trial & error managed to find a suitable from Clas Ohlson, now closed!

My only easy source was Amazon, I bought what seemed to be a suitable bulb. It arrived intact & wasn't too hard to fit in, but was stopping the lid from screwing up all the way.

After falling down a few times I decided enough was enough & managed to find a more suitable bulb, again from Amazon, which should arrive next week.

I have a Screwfix not far from me but they don't have anything suitable when I checked.

Another non-standard bulb is in my bedroom, though I managed to get one fitting replaced with a standard bayonet fitting, & will probably replace the other when the bulb goes.
Old 14th Nov 2021, 11:11 am   #2
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Re: GU10 Halogen Bulb - Second Time Lucky

Why not just replace the whole fitting and done with it, easy to do, cheap in comparison to trying to find single obscure bulbs.
Old 14th Nov 2021, 1:05 pm   #3
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulcharlie View Post
Why not just replace the whole fitting and done with it, easy to do, cheap in comparison to trying to find single obscure bulbs.
It's tricky to do that as it's set into my bathroom ceiling & it's one of three fittings so I would have to replace all three.

I had one of the bedroom fittings replaced due to it being damaged by water ingress, luckily the electrician hired by the insurance company put up a conventional fitting. I probably be able to replace the other one myself when that bulb goes.
Old 14th Nov 2021, 3:23 pm   #4
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

If you do buy a fitting, check the IP (ingress protection rating) higher means better.

IP65 is generally what is used in bathrooms and offers almost certain protection against water ingress as well as claiming to withstand heat/ fire issues for 90 minutes.
While IP20 might be used in a 'dry' room such as the living room.

With no IP rating it is probably one of the old types that were basically naked to the ceiling void.

Last edited by cheerfulcharlie; 14th Nov 2021 at 3:32 pm.
Old 20th Nov 2021, 11:02 pm   #5
Richard_FM
Nonode

I've now managed to source a suitable bulb, actually 3 of them as the seller was offering 3 for the price of 2.

With a little bit of fiddling I managed to install the bulb in the fitting & the lib screwed up tightly.

With 2 spares I won't need to worry about sourcing spares for while.

I was in 2 minds about replacing the other bulbs as they give off a slightly different colour of light, but decided it was best to not upset the apple cart as they have lasted at least 13 years & probably deserve to see their time out.

It's odd that the original bulb I replaced only lasted about 3 years, I guess there was a manufacturing fault or something that reduced the life of it.
Old 25th Nov 2021, 8:20 am   #6
seymour32
Tetrode

Hi , very pleased you have found some , are the ones you were looking for the "Long Barrel" GU10 ? If you could post a picture showing yours against a standard GU10 that may help.
Old 25th Nov 2021, 11:13 pm   #7
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymour32 View Post
Hi , very pleased you have found some , are the ones you were looking for the "Long Barrel" GU10 ? If you could post a picture showing yours against a standard GU10 that may help.
Thanks I'll try to take a picture, there are also some 80mm long bulbs, like the one I tried to squeeze inside.