UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 19th Dec 2023, 2:48 pm   #1
saxmaniac
Heptode

Default Tandberg model 12-21 quick question

Hi. I have been resurrecting this machine, the only puzzle is whether it's in the original design that after doing a recording, the selector doesn't spring back to playback position automatically when the machine is stopped. This means that if one records, rewinds, plays back, it's necessary to remember to shift the switch manually or risk erasing the recording. Is there a spring missing somewhere?(The interlock is in place for when the machine is in record)
saxmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2023, 7:07 pm   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Tandberg model 12-21 quick question

Either a spring is missing or it’s getting stuck possibly because of dried up grease.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Michael Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2023, 11:10 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Broken paloxin linkage, common fault. I used two springs tensioned to return it to play position.
Old 21st Dec 2023, 7:48 am   #4
saxmaniac
Heptode

Thanks for replies, I've already been through the deck cleaning and lubricating and it's running nicely, I'll follow Ben's recommendation and do a suitable bodge...er modification!
Old 21st Dec 2023, 8:31 am   #5
bobbyball
Octode

It is usually down to a specially shaped piece of plastic, usually of a light blueish colour, and under quite a high tension from a spring . After 50 years or so being held like this, they tend to break, giving the issue as described above. As Ben says, two springs can be used, or if you fancy you could make a replacement part from metal as I did, lots of filing and it then worked perfectly. Bit of a labour of love so the dual springs might be better for a quick fix!
Old 21st Dec 2023, 3:36 pm   #6
ricard
Octode

Or you can use a piece of piano wire: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=99207

The record interlock is a different mechanism from the return mechanism, and made of metal, so it never fails.
ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2023, 5:14 pm   #7
saxmaniac
Heptode

Yes, thanks chaps, I've had a closer look at the service manual and I can see the parts I'm missing. There's no sign of them so must have broken then got thrown away. I'll get creative!