UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2020, 11:22 am   #1
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Default The Philips VR2414 V2000

Hi all,

Thinking of adding in a V2000 machine into my collection so I have a VHS, Beta and V2000 under my BeoVision in my vintage Av space.

There is a lot of choice online, but the model i like the look of is the slimeline Philips VR2414.

Obviously it’s being bought more as a curiosity but I’d like to record something onto it see how it works. Does anyone know what inputs it has for recording as there isn’t much online. It does seem to have a scart socket, but unsure if that is just as an output only?

The machine will probably be bought from Netherlands and I have been told that because they used a slightly different variation of the PAL standard that if hooked up over RF to my UK Beovision that there probably would be no sound, but shouldn’t have this issue over SCART. Not sure of that applies to British built sets only? My BeoVision is based on the German ICC3 chassis if that makes any difference

Thanks hope someone can advise
Old 6th Jun 2020, 12:02 pm   #2
Max Ripple
Pentode

Default Re: The Philips VR2414 V2000

You could connect the recorder via Scart to the "vcr" socket of a digibox DTV receiver.The "tv" output of the digibox would go to the MX2000 tv.You'd have viewing and recording of DTV (inc stereo sound)
You could even expand the system to incorporate all three recorder's!
Nick
Old 6th Jun 2020, 12:25 pm   #3
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Some V2000s (IIRC possibly portables) had a din socket which had line level video/sound in and out
Old 6th Jun 2020, 1:11 pm   #4
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Ah yes i think that was to plug on the range of Philips cameras mostly but I reckon i could find an adapter to fit
Old 6th Jun 2020, 1:22 pm   #5
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Thanks all for the Quick Clarifications

I just ordered this rather nice looking example.

Its the nice slimline middle of the range philips machine with a sticker overlaid and sold as an Erres. Hoping i can remove that branding and make it back to a philips.

I picked this as it looked like a very clean example with limited wear on the buttons and such

Should be a great addition
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A65AAE01-EC00-4AFC-B28E-2768939E8A81.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	207800  
Old 6th Jun 2020, 1:27 pm   #6
Snarf81
Heptode

A VR2340 would've been much better for your needs as it's linear stereo. I have 2 of them and they're great. Also you might have to modify the power supply to run on 240v instead of the 220v that the machine will arrive to you in.

Last edited by Snarf81; 6th Jun 2020 at 1:29 pm. Reason: Added info
Old 6th Jun 2020, 1:48 pm   #7
Ryan_1993
Hexode

The power issue shouldn’t be a problem. I buy a lot of Hifi gear from Germany and such and never had issue with the voltage ill just fit a UK plug on it and be good to go. The Netherlands operate on a 230V supply voltage and 50Hz frequency same as the UK.

The problem with the VR2340 is its rather enormous like many V2000 units and I don’t think it would’ve fitted in my av little rack and had clearance to open the Tape door. Whereas the slimline VR2414 has more than enough room, but yeah would’ve definitely preferred a stereo model. Choices are rather limited though given the size of machines

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 6th Jun 2020 at 2:11 pm.
Old 6th Jun 2020, 2:42 pm   #8
Snarf81
Heptode

The 2340 isn't big like the 1st generation Philips V2000 vcrs, it's the smaller type. I've got limited space too in my racks and it fits just fine on top of my ntsc superBeta vcr and HD-DVD player. Surprisingly good linear stereo from them too.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 12:39 am   #9
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_1993 View Post
Thanks all for the Quick Clarifications

I just ordered this rather nice looking example.

Its the nice slimline middle of the range philips machine with a sticker overlaid and sold as an Erres. Hoping i can remove that branding and make it back to a philips.

I picked this as it looked like a very clean example with limited wear on the buttons and such

Should be a great addition
You're probably paying a good sum for a machine that might be sold without being overhauled (less of a problem with this 3rd generation eco model) and without warranty (which is a problem if you're paying for a fully functional machine). Make sure to ask for a warranty of at least 3 months.

The ICC3 chassis is French, but the design could still have been somewhat of a joint effort (Saba is said to have retained some development in the ICC1-ICC3 era) and it might have been made in a German factory. I'm not sure how to recognise that and I don't trust the rumours on B&O fansites, as they don't seem too focussed on what's in the set rather than how it looks.

This however doesn't make a difference for the sound standard. If the set was intended for sale in the UK, it will have a 6.0MHz IF. The videorecorder will be "Made in Germany" for the Dutch market with an IF of 5,5MHz. However this isn't a problem if you connect it via SCART.

Please consider not turning it "back" into a Philips (in which you will likely not succeed unless there's a double type label on the back and you manage to remove only the upper label leaving the lower one fully intact). Erres was once a renowned brand, owned by Philips since 1966, and sold in much lower numbers, so if anything it's a bit more rare.

Speaking of type labels, I would be very interested in a picture when you're able to. I have a long running project on gathering some statistics on the production years and numbers.

Also on the 240V mains voltage, these recorders sport a lineair power supply which WILL run hot and have a shorter life on 240V (it was designed for 220V nominal, not 230V). I haven't looked it up, but it would be wise to either externally buck it or to internally switch taps on the power transformer (preferred option if present, soldering needed).

Last edited by Maarten; 7th Jun 2020 at 12:51 am.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 1:28 am   #10
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Thanks for the information.

The machine was listed as refurbished in the title and really is one of the reasons why I picked this over an actual philips branded 2414, as that didn’t mention it was refurbished it also had warn buttons. This seller seems to sell quite a lot and has very good feedback rating on his online store. Have you had any dealings with this seller at all curious about them, but the feedback was good.

For the rebrand I was going to simply print out a philips sticker on some glossy a4 sticky back paper to put over the cassette door. This wouldn’t ruin the originality of the machine in anyways. I am competent in photoshop (use it all the time) so I should be able to make something easily enough. The Erres brand doesn't really mean much to me (sadly I have never heard of it) I’m more familiar with Philips stuff. However ill see what its like when it arrives and I see it in the flesh I’ll probably change my mind.

In regards to power supply thats a new one on me. Bought lots of gear from Germany and stuff For my vintage hifi space. I thought Europe and the UK used 230 volts and 50hz frequency as the typical standard these days, perhaps with a little bit of variation between countries, but nothing majorly different. Is this not actually the case?

If you could explain a bit more about externally bucking it? I do tend to not leave my machines on very much. They are always unplugged when not in use, this is mainly just to avoid strain and wear on the Built in displays more than anything

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 7th Jun 2020 at 1:44 am.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 8:59 am   #11
Snarf81
Heptode

Thanks Maarten for confirming the power supply will need to be modified.

I've carried out this mod on my 2340's with success.

Ryan,
Regarding the seller you bought this from, I bought one of my 2340's from him, described as fully serviced etc, but when it arrived I had to change the pinch roller as it was shiny and cracked. Otherwise it was ok, and it's still working.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 11:34 am   #12
Maarten
Dekatron

I have once bought a scrap laservision player from him, exactly as advertised and for a very good price, so no complaints from me.

However other vintage video collectors seem to think he's more of a 'board swapper', hence my recommendation to ask for a good warranty. For the full retail prices he usually asks they should be functioning perfectly so just make sure of that. I myself prefer to always assume vintage equipment needs work, regardless of how it's advertised and pay accordingly. However to do that you must either be able to repair it yourself or have someone locally who can.

Printing out a Philips sticker seems like a perfectly fine idea to me.

Erres can be compared to Pye. They had their own factory (Van der Heem) which was taken over by Philips and still retained for quite some time for professional equipment. Consumer products were switched to Philips manufacturing facilities within a year but a joint vacuum cleaner factory was kept as a Philips vacuum cleaner factory.

230V as a nominal mains voltage was introduced some time in the 1990s. Up until then, the nominal mains was 220V with a maximum range of 198-242V. I think the upper limit nowadays is 243.8V (230V+6%) but even for 230V nominal it's usually recommended to switch to the 240V transformer tap on vintage Philips CD, video and MFB sets since they all use lineair power supplies with sometimes smallish design margins (for example some MFB boxes use 63V electrolytics on an unregulated 57V line).

Last edited by Maarten; 7th Jun 2020 at 11:47 am.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 12:05 pm   #13
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf81 View Post
Thanks Maarten for confirming the power supply will need to be modified.

I've carried out this mod on my 2340's with success.
What needs changing on the power supply?

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 7th Jun 2020 at 12:34 pm.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 12:09 pm   #14
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
I have once bought a scrap laservision player from him, exactly as advertised and for a very good price, so no complaints from me.

However other vintage video collectors seem to think he's more of a 'board swapper', hence my recommendation to ask for a good warranty. For the full retail prices he usually asks they should be functioning perfectly so just make sure of that. I myself prefer to always assume vintage equipment needs work, regardless of how it's advertised and pay accordingly. However to do that you must either be able to repair it yourself or have someone locally who can.

Erres can be compared to Pye. They had their own factory (Van der Heem) which was taken over by Philips and still retained for quite some time for professional equipment. Consumer products were switched to Philips manufacturing facilities within a year but a joint vacuum cleaner factory was kept as a Philips vacuum cleaner factory.

230V as a nominal mains voltage was introduced some time in the 1990s. Up until then, the nominal mains was 220V with a maximum range of 198-242V. I think the upper limit nowadays is 243.8V (230V+6%) but even for 230V nominal it's usually recommended to switch to the 240V transformer tap on vintage Philips CD, video and MFB sets since they all use lineair power supplies with sometimes smallish design margins (for example some MFB boxes use 63V electrolytics on an unregulated 57V line).
Thanks for the info I can do stuff Like lubrication of parts, head cleaning and adjustment, replacing belts, pinch rollers, idler tyres. I Recapped a Valve record player before, and also recapped the PSU in my BBC Micro and swapped out the tape head relay in my Nakamichi cassette deck, but I’ve never really had to deal with anything in regards to changing the power supply in this way before so don’t really know where to begin.

As a general note I lack the equipment to fault find more crucial IC type components and don’t really have the facilities either to diagnose more immediate electrical issues. So have always stuck to the more low level repair and maintenance.

Is there any guides online regarding the PSU modification and is it a big job?

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 7th Jun 2020 at 12:27 pm.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 12:27 pm   #15
Snarf81
Heptode

Have a look here.....

https://gromsound.mfbfreaks.com/app/vcctips.htm
Old 7th Jun 2020, 12:29 pm   #16
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post

Thanks for the info I can do stuff Like, belts, pinch rollers, i Recapped a Valve record player before, and also recapped the PSU in my BBC Micro and swapped out the head relay in my Nakamichi cassette deck, but never had to deal with anything in regards to changing the power supply like this before so don’t really know where to begin.

Is there any guides online? How long does it take to do?
Old 7th Jun 2020, 12:35 pm   #17
Maarten
Dekatron

Paragraph "10. O, moeder wat wordt ie heet..." on the aforementioned page. I'll look up if it's the same on the VR2414.

Translates roughly to "O, mother, the thing gets quite hot" without any double entendre or profanities, more of a light hearted complaint.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 12:36 pm   #18
Snarf81
Heptode

Depending on the transformer in your VCR , it's as simple as moving 1 wire from one connector to another.

Have a read of that webpage in the link I posted for you.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 12:41 pm   #19
Ryan_1993
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf81 View Post
Thanks for the information this looks very straightforward as long as the PSU in mine looks the same as that one in the guys picture lol, Assume it probably will be.

Just seen on techmoan’s v2000 video the inside of the VR2414 as well. Seems like the PSU is on the left hand side of the machine near a black metal heatsink and covered with some kind of small white plastic covering?

Never really knew any of this before about PSU’s so it’s nice to learn something new and ensure a longer life for my machine.

Wondering if my German Braun Atelier CD3 I picked up in Germany would need anything like this doing to it?

In regards to tapes for the machine just ordered some Nos Ones for now from the Scotch brand. I’ll have to get a job lot of home recorded tapes though as well always interesting seeing the old adverts, idents and such likes.

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3DA81BD7-0435-4D64-AB0A-CA612D64051F.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	207908   Click image for larger version

Name:	6D3E56D6-AFB4-43E5-A82D-7F9D38A2D5CA.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	207909  

Last edited by Ryan_1993; 7th Jun 2020 at 1:06 pm.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 1:05 pm   #20
Snarf81
Heptode

When you get your VCR and have the lid off I would advise you check the pinch roller condition. I know from a bad experience that a worn/shiny/cracking rubber on it will damage your tapes. I treat all of mine to Rubber Renue. It's a marvellous chemical that restores the rubber somewhat. It's not cheap but it's very good for all things rubber in a vcr. I have no connection to MG Chemicals who make it, just some helpful advice for you.

Last edited by Snarf81; 7th Jun 2020 at 1:05 pm. Reason: Autocorrect
Closed Thread