UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2020, 2:26 pm   #1
Alanroy
Triode

Default Stereosound 9000D radiogram Wattage?

Hi. The 15 ohm speakers on my Stereosound 9000D are shot. There is no information on them regarding wattage.
Can anyone tell me what the wattage on this Stereosound model might be? I can find lots of 16 ohm speakers (near enough to 15 ohm) on the internet, but with a huge range of wattage ratings. Any advice as to what wattage rating I should buy? Many thanks. Alan
Old 6th Jun 2020, 2:39 pm   #2
samjmann
Heptode

Default Re: Stereosound 9000D radiogram Wattage?

Most radiograms of the seventies were less than 10W RMS per channel. So as long as you get the impedance match correct, there should be plenty of choice. If you by a speaker with a very high handling capacity, it's likely to be a less sensitive than a lower rated unit. Bear in mind if you change one speaker, it may well sound different to the one in the other channel. It just depends on how much you want to spend!

Regards, SJM.
Old 6th Jun 2020, 3:11 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

I'd pitch the wattage even lower- <5WPC on the basis that the only Stereosound transistor amp info I can find has AC128/AC176 output devices on a 23V rail feeding a 15R speaker.

Any chance of a pic of a shot speaker together with its dimensions?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 6th Jun 2020, 4:12 pm   #4
Alanroy
Triode

Smile Re: Stereosound 9000D radiogram Wattage?

Hi Samjmann and Herald1360
Thank you both for your very speedy replies and very helpful information.
I found this very useful. Thank you. Alan
Old 6th Jun 2020, 5:21 pm   #5
simpsons
Octode

May I suggest that you measure the size of the existing loudspeakers, including the fixing hole locations. BVWS Members often hold a stock of spares,

The original speakers, now blown, may well been the achilles' heel of the radiogram, the bean counters will have been there. After all it isn't a Grundig. So improving their quality will reward your listening pleasure. The electronics will be similar to many of the era and will hold up well to most makes.

However, don't just stop there. Line the inside of the loudspeaker enclosure with some carpet felt and hey presto any unwanted boom and resonance will be tamed.

Good luck.

Chris
Old 6th Jun 2020, 5:49 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Looking at a photo of this model I suspect the speaker size will be the ubiquitous 8" x 5" unit found on so very many Radiograms of this period, Most Thorn Stereograms from c.1968 - 1975 used them.
They can be sourced from those Grams that are listed as non-working (but the speakers in them very rarely fail) from an Auction site for less than the cost of buying NOS.
In fact you will be very hard pressed to find new 15ohm drive units.
Old 6th Jun 2020, 7:15 pm   #7
samjmann
Heptode

Got to agree with the last post, most 'grams of that era had no sound damping in the cabinets, fitting felt or similar will greatly improve the sound quality. If you want originality then sourcing a pair of originals is the way to go. Personally I'd go for a pair of modern speakers, the chances are the originals were costed down to keep the price of the unit as competitive as possible. SJM.
Closed Thread