UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2020, 9:27 am   #21
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Jammed capstan sleeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by red16v View Post
Various ways of fitting the resized capstan to the original. This website has some useful info.

http://www.oaktreevintage.com/Akai_R...eplacement.htm
Very interesting.
Old 4th Jun 2020, 9:30 am   #22
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by red16v View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Interesting, I have not seen the keyed/notched type before on Akai.
David, looking back this is a kit I bought for the X201D I recently passed on to you. But, it did not fit and the hifi shop I bought it from was most embarrassed! Note that the pinchwheel is a smaller diameter than the OEM one - that is probably the one I found and gave you, the capstan is long gone - it was nearly 50 years ago!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-A...-/113961240009
I assume it did not fit because as far as I can see the X-201D never had a removable capstan sleeve.
Old 4th Jun 2020, 9:38 am   #23
PaulR
Dekatron

I had - still have somewhere actually - a 4000DS. The capstan sleeve used to stick on this sometimes. I assumed it was due to a build up of tape debris. Lighter fluid or penetrating oil would loosen it. There was always lighter fluid around in those days of fairly universal smoking!

I am not sure whether WD40 had been invented in the early 1970s but I imagine it would penetrate sufficiently to loosen it. The lighter fluid would then come in useful to get rid of the WD40!
Old 4th Jun 2020, 10:19 am   #24
Restoration73
Nonode

The X-2000 (reel/cassette/8-track) recorder had a keyed push on capstan.

The smaller capstan should always be kept free of oxide.

Interestingly, the X-1900 reel/cassette was supplied with both extra capstan and also reduced diameter pinch roller for 15 ips. The latter was stored on the wooden lid.
Old 4th Jun 2020, 11:42 am   #25
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
4000GS is a facelifted version with their Glass and Xtal head. Track switch moved out of head box as well.

Tha Akai sleeves are not keyed an any way, but what most people don't notice is that the bottom end of the capstan had a conical flare as it steps up to a larger diameter. The sleeve has a slight conical rebate on its opening, so when it sits on the capstan cone-on-cone gives accurate centring The underside of the nut is flat and faces onto the flat face of the outer end of the sleeve. It takes decent precision to not have terrible flutter with a sleeve adaptor, and it's the 7.5IPS speed that bears the brunt.

David
I do not think I have seen the conical flare/rebate version, the various 4000 machines I have, both ends of the sleeve are flat. GX-4000D photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capstan shaft before cleaning.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	207634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capstan shaft post cleaning.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	207635   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.5 ips capstan sleeve and cap nut fitted to Capstan shaft.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	207636  
Old 4th Jun 2020, 11:55 am   #26
Radio Wrangler

My 4000DS looked just like that except yours shows a deliberate undercut to remove any radius effect at the root end of the & 3/4 IPS capstan. Mine had a deliberate but very small cone in the root, just a little bit larger than the clearance on the bore of the sleeve.

The sleeve has a slight chamfer to the entry to the bore at each end, so it didn't matter which way round it was fitted.

I wonder if they did a change? Going to a simple cylinder bore on a cylinder inner capstan with flat faces to the ends of the sleeve would work, but there would be a nasty compromise between any clearance allowing the sleeve to tighten up slightly off centre, giving flutter, or not enough clearance causing it to stick in place?

I never had problems with the sleeve sticking.

My problem was I kept wearing out the bearing bushes of the spool spindles.

I enjoyed my old 4000DS it did a lot of work for me. and took an A77 to replace it.

David
Old 4th Jun 2020, 12:17 pm   #27
ms660
Dekatron

I got lost with the model number given in the first post, but I'm guessing it's the usual type of capstan sleeve, unscrew top nut/cap and pull sleeve off, if jammed try plus gas or similar or heat or both.

Lawrence.
Old 4th Jun 2020, 1:32 pm   #28
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The standard non keyed sleeves can be a bit tight, but generally when tight holding the flywheel and CW/ACW twisting the sleeve plus pulling at same time normally gets them off. Have never had to use heat or penetrating lubricant.
Old 5th Jun 2020, 2:31 pm   #29
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Location: Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK.

Hi all, got the problem sorted,I held the pointed end of my smoothing iron against the sleeve while the iron was still hot after ironing laundry. Then gripped the top part of the sleeve with adjustable grips and switched the machine on while holding the grips,lifted the auto stop lever and the sleeve released.
Mods this thread can now be closed.
Old 5th Jun 2020, 4:03 pm   #30
DMcMahon
Dekatron

So is 4000GS the correct model number ?
Old 5th Jun 2020, 4:18 pm   #31
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Not good practice to put mole grips on a capstan shaft!
Old 6th Jun 2020, 2:39 pm   #32
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Location: Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK.

Yes I got the model wrong it is a gx4000d and as to using the molegrips I made sure they were only on the tip of the sleeve furthest from the deck itself and with just enough grip to hold it against the force of the capstan spin.
Closed Thread