UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2021, 12:47 am   #281
winston_1
Hexode

Default Re: Bodges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglcomp View Post
I always take the top off, how does the tester know that it not only has the right fuse, is wired correctly and all terminal screws are tight?
Sadly most allegedly ‘qualified’ PAT testers seem to forget that the first step in the test is a visual inspection, plus fuse value and wiring safety check. I’ve lost count of the number of PAT-stickered audio items I’ve bought that have a 13A fuse in the plug!
So what is the 'correct' fuse bearing in mind the fuse is to protect the cable not what is on the end of it which should be internally fused? Bear in mind that the same item used in other countries are plugged into a socket where the only protection is a 16amp MCB in the CU.
Old 19th Feb 2021, 2:59 am   #282
Refugee
Dekatron

At a place I used to live in there was a communal stair well and one of the lights stopped working and a new bulb did not fix it.
There was a neutral wire that was open circuit.
I was not in the mood to spend more than a minute or two so it was the neutral sin.
With no RCCD it was fixed until I moved out.
Old 19th Feb 2021, 10:07 am   #283
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I visted my local GP surgery yesterday and spotted this through the large glass windows. Its in an outside courtyard.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210218_151125.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	227066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside socket.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	227067  
Old 19th Feb 2021, 12:30 pm   #284
Scimitar
Heptode

Not sure what you are pointing out? I can only see an approved, waterproof outdoor power socket.
Old 19th Feb 2021, 2:33 pm   #285
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronpusher0 View Post
I visted my local GP surgery yesterday and spotted this through the large glass windows. Its in an outside courtyard.

Peter
I'm not familiar with this particular design of socket, but is it mounted upside down?

The apertures for connected flexibles are typically not fully waterproof and it looks as though they're facing upwards here, so could be vulnerable to letting in the rain. When facing downwards, they act simply as informal drain holes should any rain penetrate the socket housing.

Martin
Old 19th Feb 2021, 2:45 pm   #286
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Ah, well spotted, Martin!
Old 19th Feb 2021, 2:51 pm   #287
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
At a place I used to live in there was a communal stair well and one of the lights stopped working and a new bulb did not fix it.
There was a neutral wire that was open circuit.
I was not in the mood to spend more than a minute or two so it was the neutral sin.
With no RCCD it was fixed until I moved out.

You only "borrowed" the neutral, it's not a sin unless you intended to "permanently deprave".
Old 19th Feb 2021, 2:52 pm   #288
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
I'm not familiar with this particular design of socket, but is it mounted upside down?

Martin
That was my assumption and why I posted it.
When the socket is in use normally the front flap sits over the plugs and provides some shelter from rain, if it is mounted upside down the flap would channel the rain onto the plugs.

Peter
Old 19th Feb 2021, 2:55 pm   #289
stacman
Hexode

Must say it looks mounted correctly to myself, the flap cover isn’t clicked back into place properly though, the cover usually has a seal around a lip on the inside with grooving for any flex wiring.
Old 19th Feb 2021, 7:05 pm   #290
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacman View Post
Must say it looks mounted correctly to myself, the flap cover isn’t clicked back into place properly though, the cover usually has a seal around a lip on the inside with grooving for any flex wiring.
Likewise. If it's a bodge in some way, I need to get mine sorted! Of course I do make sure the lids are closed.
Old 19th Feb 2021, 9:57 pm   #291
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Looks like I might have been mistaken, I was convinced that it was upside down with the hinge at the bottom. Glad I did not say anything to the staff at the surgery......

Peter
Old 19th Feb 2021, 10:08 pm   #292
Radio Wrangler

Understood. I tried saying something to the staff at the local bank... every 13A socket in the place had one of those dangerous little plastic 'child protectors' stuffed into it.

David
Old 19th Feb 2021, 11:27 pm   #293
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston_1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglcomp View Post
I always take the top off, how does the tester know that it not only has the right fuse, is wired correctly and all terminal screws are tight?
Sadly most allegedly ‘qualified’ PAT testers seem to forget that the first step in the test is a visual inspection, plus fuse value and wiring safety check. I’ve lost count of the number of PAT-stickered audio items I’ve bought that have a 13A fuse in the plug!
So what is the 'correct' fuse bearing in mind the fuse is to protect the cable not what is on the end of it which should be internally fused? Bear in mind that the same item used in other countries are plugged into a socket where the only protection is a 16amp MCB in the CU.
Depends on the cable CSA. I wouldn't be happy about a 13A fuse on a 7/0.2 flex (0.22 sq mm), 16/0.2 (0.5 sq mm) hmmmm...., 24/0.2 (0.75 sq mm) and up OK.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Feb 2021, 3:48 am   #294
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Understood. I tried saying something to the staff at the local bank... every 13A socket in the place had one of those dangerous little plastic 'child protectors' stuffed into it.

David
NHS places quite often have those shutter openers waiting for a bodger to come along and use them to open the shutters and put bare wires in.
Old 20th Feb 2021, 4:00 am   #295
Refugee
Dekatron

I have just found a cordless power driver with a hole drilled right through the charger out side in a carrier bag.
The hole is next to the battery contacts so there is a chance that it had not gone through the processor chip. There is a big wood screw stuck right through it.
I will take it apart and have a look in a few days.
It must have been the last hole it drilled before it got left out side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6578.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	227155  
Old 20th Feb 2021, 12:02 pm   #296
Brigham
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

David
Those 'child protector' things are only dangerous when there are unsupervised children about!
Old 23rd Mar 2021, 11:44 am   #297
richard.cs
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Two mains leads into one plug was very common.
I have fond memories of helping my dad wire four or five sets of Christmas lights into a single plug each year after putting them on the tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
To tie in with the main subject of this forum,
"If I see a switchboard where the incoming wires are black and blue, how do know if it's 'blue phase' on the old colours or 'black phase' on the new?"
Well it was never really officially sanctioned to wire single phase circuits in the 2nd or 3rd phase colour. Common though, my 1960s-built university building certainly had it.
Old 23rd Mar 2021, 12:44 pm   #298
KeithsTV
Nonode

The engineering building at university had each floor on a different phase with the sockets of the appropriate colour.

Keith
Old 23rd Mar 2021, 11:55 pm   #299
Herald1360
Dekatron

How is that a bodge? Seems like a sensible idea.....

A bodge from work that I remember in the transmitter lab at Racal Comms was using a twin 13A socket, two plugs and two mains leads paralleled up at the equipment inlet to run a 1kW output solid state HF transmitter that needed 6kW of mains in at full output.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 25th Mar 2021, 12:33 pm   #300
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I am working on a Kerry Ultrasonics KC14, 14litre ultrasound cleaner prepatory to rehousing it. The existing metalwork case is rusting away. The actual bath is stainless so thats OK.
The case consists of two metal sides, a metal base and two plastic sides. The bath, metal sides and base are fixed to the plastic sides and isolated from each other so require earthing.

Because I cannot find a manual anywhere I am tracing the wiring.

I am surprised at the earth wiring. There is an earth bus bar with 1/4 inch male spades to which the incoming earth is attached.
The bath and base plate are attached to the bus bar by wires and 1/4 spades, so far so good.

BUT the sides, control panel plate, and pcbs are all earthed "daisy chain" fashion. The metal work has a plate welded on with two 1/4 metal fingers. An earth wire comes in from the bus bar to one finger by a wire and 1/4 inch terminal. Another wire then daisy chains on the next metal plate where the process is repeated. The ultrasound pcbs are earthed by wires to the last bit of metal in the chain, the control panel plate.

Peter
Closed Thread