UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Feb 2021, 7:46 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Radio Tirana.

Anyone who was a SWL in the 60s/70s/80s would have been horribly familiar with the funereal trumpet-dirge that was Radio Tirana's channel-claim/signature-music.

The Cold War International History Project has some interesting insights of the people who wrote in to Tirana, whether out of 'fraternal support', to complain about interference to the signal, or merely wanting to score another QSL-card.

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/blog-po...oism-and-noise
Old 12th Feb 2021, 8:25 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Radio Tirana.

Not just shortwave - it used to sprawl over my reception of Radio 4 MW.
Old 12th Feb 2021, 8:26 pm   #3
paulsherwin

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B2mBP40w_hU
Old 13th Feb 2021, 10:34 am   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

That wasn't the one that caused me trouble - it was a sort of perverted Ode to Joy on a harmonica interspersed with unintelligible speech.
Old 13th Feb 2021, 12:23 pm   #5
AdrianH
Octode

One of the wonderful signals I used to pick up on the old radiograms I had in the 60/70's. Was it called with pickaxe and rifle or similar.

Adrian
Old 14th Feb 2021, 1:27 pm   #6
kellymarie
Pentode

Oh yes radio Tirana what a pain in the proverbial they used to cause QRM in the 40 meter ham band cause QRM to radio one on 247 meters and finally to add insult to injury their presence on 1395 kilocycles meant that the short lived big L revival had to close down at 7 pm all in all, I think they were haunting me!
Old 14th Feb 2021, 6:19 pm   #7
Top Cap
Octode

The follow-on video was also very interesting and brought back some happy memories. I particularly liked one of the radio dials featured and I wonder if anyone knows what make/model it is. Unlike many radios of that time, it does not try to cram too many frequencies on each scale so that the tracking should be quite good. Any ideas?
Les_G4CNH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown Radio.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	226722  
Old 15th Feb 2021, 9:26 pm   #8
sabaman
Pentode

Hi Top Cap,

Looks like the (National) Panasonic RF-5000(A) to me.

Kind regards,

Sabaman.
Old 15th Feb 2021, 11:51 pm   #9
Richard_FM
Nonode

I think it was Radio Tirana which had broadcasts in English by a woman who gained the nickname 'Countess Dracula' because of her accent.

Years ago I was reading about short wave radio which mentioned listening to Eastern European broadcasts which mentioned the above.
Old 16th Feb 2021, 8:48 am   #10
Beardyman
Hexode

Finally, after a few decades, I've found out what radio station that tune belonged to! Many thanks for posting the sound link too, much appreciated. I remember my father puzzling over what station it was as he was an avid SW listener. I don't remember hearing anything but the tune from the station though. Seemed to go on for hours!
Old 16th Feb 2021, 8:56 am   #11
saxmaniac
Heptode

I remember listening to all those iron curtain stations when I was a keen swl in the 70s. The attempts at propaganda were laughable particularly the made up correspondence
Old 17th Feb 2021, 8:28 pm   #12
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Listening recently on the now expended 40m band I was thinking how wonderful it was not having Tirana 0n 7.065 blocking off much of what was then a meagre amateur allocation.

Radio Tirana expanded my knowledge of vocabulary. It was where I first heard words like ‘proletariat’ and ‘bourgeoisie’. Sadly, I don’t ever remember hearing a review of the latest Norman Wisdom film.

That sort of broadcasting is largely missing from SW though I suppose Radio China International carries on the heritage to some extent.
Old 18th Feb 2021, 9:29 am   #13
KW2000A
Triode

I was licensed in 1969 when I was just turned 18. The delights of the Sunday morning 40 metre nets being comprehensively trashed when Radio Tirana fired up with the rants about the lumpen proletariat ( what on earth was it?) and the pronouncements of Enver Hoxha were firmly planted in memory..Albania was very much a closed country. Only Regent Holidays of Bristol could do the occasional supervised group tour.

Fast forward to 1999 and I'm working for a short while in Tirana . On the way from the airport into the city there was a very interesting looking curtain array with a building not unlike the old Post Office HF Station outside Dorchester. I got the taxi to stop so I could go and have a look ( I did have an Albanian with me!). It was the transmitter of Radio Tirana....now closed up but very much like being in the engine room of an ocean going liner of the 1920s ( which I knew from pictures only!)..Huge diesel engines driving generators....mercury arc rectifiers and massive valves with associated plumbing.Sadly it was a time when photography was still sensitive. And when I went back a year later it was all gone....

Sorry mods ....trending off topic except in context and nostalgia.

Best Wishes

Phil
Old 20th Feb 2021, 1:42 pm   #14
kellymarie
Pentode

Hi KW2000A can you remember where it was? If memory serves me right the 3 main transmitting stations were Shkodra Gjirokastra and Durres so I wonder if it was one of them I think that the station at Durres was home to the 150 Kilowatt transmitter on 1089 Kilocycles which could be heard warbling away under radio one. Oh the memories!
Closed Thread