UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2021, 7:00 pm   #21
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Unknown valve radio - New old stock

It's not as though it's a boxed, unused round Ekco! There are plenty of these about although not in unused condition of course. If it was mine, it would now be working and have pride of place among the other sets. It would be a shame if it was robbed of its valves just for some audiophool to use in an amplifier of so-called mystical quality for the sake of a few quid......
Old 18th Jun 2021, 7:05 pm   #22
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
It's not as though it's a boxed, unused round Ekco! There are plenty of these about
It's the first one I've seen.

The OP said his friend would want to sell it.

Untouched would fetch the better price I would have thought?

Lawrence.
Old 18th Jun 2021, 7:49 pm   #23
Sideband
Dekatron

Hmm....well I meant that there are plenty of Barkers about of which this is a derivative....
Old 18th Jun 2021, 8:37 pm   #24
slidertogrid
Octode

Another vote to leave it as it is. There are plenty of sets that are restored and many more unrestored if you want something to play with. This set is probably unique, something that it will lose as soon as it has parts replaced.
It deserves to be in a museum as a new example demonstrating the manufacturing and parts of the time. What does the box look like? It would make a nice exhibit with the box IMHO.
Robbing the valves for the money would be sacrilege!
Would the Dulwich museum be interested? How about we all pitch in a few quid buy it and donate it. Then it could be enjoyed by many and it would be safe from the valve robbers etc.

I would be prepared to contribute if enough members think it would be a good idea and also put some cash in. This is assuming of course the museum would want it?
Just an idea to preserve a unique new set before someone either robs it or starts filling it with yellow capacitors and gold metal body resistors...
Rich
Old 18th Jun 2021, 10:14 pm   #25
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
Another vote to leave it as it is. There are plenty of sets that are restored and many more unrestored if you want something to play with. This set is probably unique, something that it will lose as soon as it has parts replaced.
Yes - hard for me to fathom why anyone would want to "restore" this set, when examples of similar models that could be saved or made more rewarding by restoration aren't in short supply. Nothing of this kind has come my way, but I'm grateful even to have two or three '60s transistor sets that have hardly left their boxes (Roberts R500, TR130, Sky Leader) - taking a look at them once in a blue moon is a particular thrill, and their ongoing fate will be for whoever owns them next to decide.

Are EL33s or any of the other valves among the types hotly pursued by the audio fraternity (to address them charitably just this once ) these days? I'd have expected a pristine boxed 1940s receiver to command enough of a price premium safely to see off any interest in robbing it of valves, but maybe I'm failing to keep up...

Paul
Old 18th Jun 2021, 10:59 pm   #26
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

I'm not surprised the indicator went missing a long time ago, it was an EM34 and these things have climbed to over three figures n.o.s. and nearly for a good one!

The clue is on the valve–holder, if there is one resistor (1M) then you have a single–shadow eye:–

2:– h, 3:– a, d, 4:– t, 5:– g, 6:– i.c. or n.p., 7:– h, 8:– k, g'

If your set needed the EM34 there are two 1M anode resistors:–

2:– h, 3:– a', d', 4:– g, 5:– t, 6:– a", d", 7:– h, 8:– k, g'

However, you can get very good (and bright!) 6E5C/6E5S indicator valves from Eastern European suppliers, however, to use one of these, you need to transfer the h.t. lead from pin 5 to pin 6 and discard the 1M resistor between pin 5 and pin 6, and transfer the a.g.c. line lead from pin 4 to pin 5, and connect one 1M resistor from pin 3 to pin 6.

Base connections 6E5C/6E5S:–

2:– h, 3:– a, d, 4:– n.c. 5:– g, 6:– t, 7:– h, 8:– k, g'

The heater and cathode connections to pins 2, 7 and 8 are unaltered.

Chris Williams

Last edited by Chris55000; 18th Jun 2021 at 11:18 pm.
Old 19th Jun 2021, 12:46 am   #27
joebog1
Banned

Who cares what brand it is !! Its beautiful. I am VERY envious :-(

Joe
Old 19th Jun 2021, 4:05 pm   #28
Sideband
Dekatron

Of course it is up to the owner what he does with the radio. What would be a shame is if it is stripped of two of its desirable valves for an audiophool to use for a couple of years and then the rest of the radio was scrapped.....
Old 19th Jun 2021, 6:37 pm   #29
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
What would be a shame is if it is stripped of two of its desirable valves for an audiophool to use for a couple of years and then the rest of the radio was scrapped.....
I'd understand the risk of its losing the output valves if they were iconic or otherwise mystically fabulous triodes, but NOS EL33s seem only to realise £30-£40 at most - surely the radio would command a higher price than that with or without them? (but preferably with )

Paul
Old 21st Jun 2021, 9:24 am   #30
crackle
Rest in Peace

In my view it deserves to sing again.
So a minimal cap change is what I would do. Just the important ones.
If the main smoothing caps have not been used they may reform and be OK, so that just leaves the audio coupling capacitors to change. (keep the old ones in a bag in the cabinet.)
Mike
Old 21st Jun 2021, 10:48 am   #31
agardiner
Octode

Agreed - another vote for using it. So unusual to find BNIB of any vintage stuff. What a joy.
Old 21st Jun 2021, 11:51 am   #32
stevehertz
Dekatron

As collectors, are we short of an AM radio or three to fire up? No. How many pristine, unused, 'still in a box' sets do we have? er, me, none. That's my reasoning for leaving it as it is; it's a rare find in that condition.