UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jun 2021, 7:40 pm   #21
Gabe001
Octode

Default Re: KB MR10 sudden fault, help needed

A quick picture to show the short caused by a small patch of carbonised paxolin which I scooped out. You can see the cavity marked in purple
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210615_160840.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	235962  
Old 20th Jun 2021, 3:05 pm   #22
Gabe001
Octode

Back in business, but it took me the whole weekend to sort. I don't know how some of you do this for a living and manage to put food on the table!

The cavity in the paxolin was sealed and filled with milliput. The short is gone.

The set was silent as I disturbed one of the connections on the waveband switch as I was removing the charred area. Resoldering it sorted AM which is working well.

FM was a different story. It transpires that the reason why FM went out of alignment (XS Manchester at 106 appearing at the 100 mark and 2 stations stretched across the whole band) was because a solder joint between c9 and L5 had failed. I think it's OK now but I need to run it for a while and see.

Now I just need to fix the knobs I broke to get the set out...
Old 20th Jun 2021, 3:43 pm   #23
Gabe001
Octode

Thank you to all those who helped, especially for directing me to look for charred paxolin. I don't think I would have sorted this by myself.

The radio is back together now and back in the kitchen and playing radio X without issue.

This experience has highlighted the need for me to invest in a signal generator. Doing the RF alignment by trying to identify the stations from their internet streams was a nightmare.

Gabriel
Old 20th Jun 2021, 8:31 pm   #24
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Gabriel, I can't think of a more difficult fault to find than an inaccessible wafer switch tracking to ground. Don't be too modest, you found where the fault was using logical deduction. Well done.
Old 20th Jun 2021, 9:57 pm   #25
crackle
Rest in Peace

Yes this was not a run of the mill fault. So congratulations for finding and rectifying it.
Mike
Old 21st Jun 2021, 1:58 pm   #26
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe001 View Post
I don't know how some of you do this for a living and manage to put food on the table!
Most of us don't anymore and those of us that are still in the trade would not be tackling jobs like leaky switches....at least not these kind of switches. Back in 'the day' a replacement switch will have been ordered and fitted or....if the set was more than around 10 years old, it probably would have been scrapped as not economical or just made to work on one waveband if the owner was happy with that.

It would be interesting to know if wavechange switches gave trouble like yours. I suspect very few.....after all it's taken 50 odd years for the switch to fail and that is way beyond the the expected life of the radio.
Old 21st Jun 2021, 2:10 pm   #27
ms660
Dekatron

Paxolin tracking used to occur back in the day, I remember some tag strips doing it and some TV system switches.

Lawrence.
Old 21st Jun 2021, 2:22 pm   #28
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe001 View Post
back in the kitchen and playing radio X without issue.
That's likely to be why it tracked in the first place. A kitchen with all the moisture in the air from cooking is a common cause for any set using HT voltages to start having tracking problems across switches etc. Either use a battery operated transistor set in the kitchen or turn on the valve set and let it warm up internally well before you start any cooking or you'll have the same thing happen again.
Old 21st Jun 2021, 2:32 pm   #29
Gabe001
Octode

Techman is right. It's next to the kettle
This is almost certainly the cause.
I need to shift things around.
Old 21st Jun 2021, 3:00 pm   #30
Techman
Dekatron

Yes, I've had valve sets in the kitchen, but kept them as far away as possible from cooking and kettles. I now use a little Ferguson 4 band mains battery transistor set that came in a job lot box of old radios from a junk sale several years ago and guess what, it sits right between the kettle and the cooker, inches away from both of them and works just fine - a valve set wouldn't survive in such a position. I used to run a CRT TV in the kitchen and that used to hiss and crack to the point that it had to be switched off PDQ if cooking had already started before it had been switched on. So long as the set had been switched on and allowed to warm up before the commencement of any cooking, everything was fine with no EHT tracking, which was bad enough when it happened to knock the tuning completely off station.
Closed Thread