UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2021, 7:44 pm   #1
still.learning
Triode

Default Who has an Emor Globe radio?

Hi – Last September I asked about the colours of Emor Globe radios while researching an article I was writing for publication. The article can now be found at

https://sparcradio.ca/wp-content/upl...estoration.pdf

Now, I’m expanding the research to try and determine how many Emor Globe radios still exist worldwide.

If you have one, please let me know its model, colour and any other information you can provide.

Thanks for the help.
Gary
Old 6th Jun 2021, 8:02 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Who has an Emor Globe radio?

Mine is the floor standing model in chrome plated brass (globe and column) with cast iron base. There were a few mechanical design flaws that I felt it prudent to correct, I almost wondered if it was an early prototype.
Reg design no : 845502 3/4/5/6
English pat nos : 22186/45 5487/45 6884/45
Height 42.5"
I might add that this presented me with a very challenging restoration hampered by the various assembly flaws but it now works as it should.
Neil
Old 6th Jun 2021, 9:34 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Most UK vintage radio enthusiasts don't own these. They appeal more to the design/style market.
Old 6th Jun 2021, 10:11 pm   #4
Cobaltblue

I also have a floor standing chrome model but you wiil need to bear with me for further details.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 6th Jun 2021, 10:58 pm   #5
g8jzyian
Pentode

Hi
the manchester museum of science and industry had one on display before lockdown.
Ian
https://collection.sciencemuseumgrou...radio-receiver

Last edited by g8jzyian; 6th Jun 2021 at 11:04 pm.
Old 7th Jun 2021, 2:03 am   #6
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
I also have a floor standing chrome model but you wiil need to bear with me for further details.

Cheers

Mike T
There's coverage on the Emor radio on the US Nostalgia Air. They just list one model, that one. It's one page and it shows the assembly procedure and the schematic. The radio is a transformer chassis, five valve, US types.
I thought is was Canadian, Emor Radio LTD.
Dave, USradcoll1, an interesting set, to be sure.
Old 7th Jun 2021, 8:06 am   #7

I had one, chrome brass, I gave it to the Dulwich museum.

Old 7th Jun 2021, 7:55 pm   #8
still.learning
Triode

Neil – thanks for the detailed information. I’m curious, what mechanical design flaws did you correct? I’m currently restoring my second Canadian model and it has some quirks as well.

Paul – I view these radios as much a part of vintage radio history as the more ‘traditional’ but perhaps less artistic designs. Much the same as Catalin cabinets or Sparton Bluebirds, and certainly worth preserving.

Mike – love your signature quote!

g8jzyian – thanks for the reference to the Manchester Museum of Science. A beautiful example.

Dave – the Nostalgia Air site lists the Riders entry for a US Emor 100 (Riders 16-1 and 16-2). As outlined in my restoration article referenced above, there is only one know instance of this radio, a prototype currently residing in Illinois. All North American assembly was done by the Faust Radio Company in Montreal, using US components and the circuit shown in the Riders entry.

Merlinmaxwel – thanks for telling me about the Dulwich gallery. Had to look it up and discovered it to be the ‘oldest public art gallery in England’. Very impressive.

So far, have found fifteen (15) Emors worldwide. Still looking.

Cheers,
Gary
Old 7th Jun 2021, 8:43 pm   #9
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by still.learning View Post
Merlinmaxwel – thanks for telling me about the Dulwich gallery. Had to look it up and discovered it to be the ‘oldest public art gallery in England’.
Hi Gary,

I'm fairly confident the set's destination will have been the Dulwich home of the late Gerry Wells, the UK's best known, and perhaps most devoted, vintage radio and TV enthusiast.

https://bvwm.org.uk/index.htm

Paul
Old 7th Jun 2021, 8:43 pm   #10
newlite4
Octode

Hello Gary, well a number of oddities were corrected:
The shadow box for the scale illumination had its mounting flange sandwiched between the bottom of the first IF can and chassis causing said can to tilt to the left. The flange was cut back and the screw hole repositioned to allow the IF can to sit properly.
The audio output transformer was mounted on top of a screw head which meant it would not sit correctly. The transformer was remounted on a piece of resilient material to raise it by an eighth of an inch, a hole in this allowed for the screw head.
The cast iron base needed extensive grinding to prevent flash from the casting cutting into the mains lead, I fitted a plywood base under this to prevent the mains lead from being trapped under the flat surface.
The antenna and oscillator coils were mounted right up to the edge of the chassis and as such were damaged. I fitted thin aluminium shields on the edge to protect them.
One glaring flaw which can not be corrected is the limited travel of the volume control, the control sleeve on the column can only turn so far. The factory correction for this was to have a 100kohm resistor between the wiper and signal end of the track. This works, but could it be seen as a bodge?
I realise that these sets are seen as being of revolutionary design for their time, but more thought could have gone into basic engineering principles.
Neil
Old 7th Jun 2021, 8:50 pm   #11
Station X

Using the forum's search facility pulls out a lot of threads with "Emor" in the title. some of these threads will have been started by Emor owners and it would be worth contacting them.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th Jun 2021, 2:55 am   #12
still.learning
Triode

Hi Paul – Oops! Thank you so much for correcting my clumsy attempt with ‘Dulwich’ and Google. What a wonderful asset you have in the Museum for the preservation and education of wireless history. And what a fitting tribute to Mr. Wells for the BVWS to have had a portrait of him commissioned and hung in the Museum.

Hi Neil – most of those flaws were corrected in the ‘Canadian design’ but the limited rotation of the volume control carried through, without the addition of the resistor. Will add resistors to both of mine.

Hi Graham – will do. I do have a few owners from my previous post on the factory colours that were offered.

Cheers,
Gary
Old 8th Jun 2021, 9:50 am   #13
paulsherwin

Gary, I certainly didn't mean to imply that Emor Globes aren't worth preserving and are of no interest. I was simply warning that there aren't many in the hands of typical run-of-the-mill restorers like many here, simply because their desirability among affluent design fans means they are rather expensive, and they don't exist in large numbers anyway.
Old 10th Jun 2021, 10:40 pm   #14
still.learning
Triode

Paul - 'Chacun son goût'. It's the diversity in our hobby that makes it so interesting.
Gary
Old 11th Jun 2021, 5:22 pm   #15
still.learning
Triode

Oh, and these radios have held their value remarkably well. They were advertised to sell for 14 guineas in 1947, which, if my calculation is correct, equates to about 590 pounds (US$830) today. Emors in good condition in North America are currently valued at over US$1000.
Gary
Old 11th Jun 2021, 7:39 pm   #16
paulsherwin

They were an expensive radio in 1947, but not wildly so. In this age of cheap consumer electronics, we tend to forget what radios cost in real terms at that time. They cost a month's wages for a skilled worker. Most British households would only own a single radio until the late 50s.
Old 20th Jun 2021, 5:40 pm   #17
still.learning
Triode

A quick update on my search for Emor Globe radios. So far I have found thirty six (36) worldwide: ten (10) in the UK, nine (9) in Canada, six (6) in the US, ten (10) in Germany, and one (1) in India.
Still looking.
Gary
Closed Thread