UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2021, 9:10 pm   #21
wd40addict
Octode

Default Re: Quad II Transformer woes!

I once tried an RS 100V line transformer together with a loan Vortexion 50W 807 PA amp into my Hi-Fi speakers. I expected it to just 'work', but it actually sounded amazingly good!
Old 18th Jun 2021, 4:26 pm   #22
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Interesting to hear about the output transformer problems.
I have a Quad II which I 'rescued' from a company that went under. The Quad is actually new, & appears not to have been used, & still in its original but tatty box.
I've had it for around 40 years, & checked it out a few months ago. Unbelievably, the output transformer is o/c on one of the secondary windings!
I'm wondering if perhaps the wire was never soldered to its relevant tag.
But how did it pass a final test?

I'm hoping to sneak the transformer past my wife into a warm oven at some point so that I can disassemble it.

Incidentally Canford Audio used to do an HQ 100v line 'Music' transformer, which I have installed where I needed better quality speakers, & the results were very good.

David.
Old 18th Jun 2021, 4:36 pm   #23
Petedox
Pentode

Thanks for info David, I've just looked at their site and the HQ transformers look very affordable.
Old 18th Jun 2021, 7:15 pm   #24
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, it should be quite easy to wind a good quality 100v line matching transformer that would be of a similar size to, and used with the Quad. It could also be wound using an interleaving method. Given the presence of an additional transformer in the chain I would expect a marginal increase of distortion.

On a theoretical front, as isolation is no longer required, the transformer coul be an autowound type and more compact.

Only a few thoughts, please discuss

Ed
Old 18th Jun 2021, 7:25 pm   #25
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Engr View Post
... Unbelievably, the output transformer is o/c on one of the secondary windings!
I'm wondering if perhaps the wire was never soldered to its relevant tag.
But how did it pass a final test? ...
Sorry if this is teaching my granny to suck eggs, but are you certain ? The secondary turrets on the 'normal' i.e. 8ohm/15ohm transformer are P, Q, R, S, and T. But there are actually two completely separate windings - one goes between P and S with Q as a tapping, the other goes between R and T. So if you try to measure each 'section' from P all the way to T you'll find a break between R and S. This is how it's meant to be. PQ is the negative feedback section. For 8ohm speakers QS and RT have to be connected, with jumper wires, in parallel. For 15ohm ones they have to be connected, with one jumper, in series.

Cheers,

GJ

Last edited by GrimJosef; 18th Jun 2021 at 7:34 pm.
Old 18th Jun 2021, 10:02 pm   #26
Vintage Engr
Heptode

I am aware of the connections on this particular transformer, I had hoped that someone had simply miss-wired it, but not so!

I will take it apart some time, but unfortunately have more pressing issues at present.

David.
Old 18th Jun 2021, 11:33 pm   #27
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Quote:
Available as a free pdf download from http://www.tubebooks.org/Books/Atwoo...t%20Design.pdf
That pdf linked has nothing in common with "High Fidelity Sound Engineering" – the book I referred to is written in British terminology and is far more theoretical in content than the pdf quoted!

Chris Williams
Old 19th Jun 2021, 10:39 pm   #28
Cobaltblue

Some interesting posts that were a wee bit off topic have been moved here.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/....php?p=1382776

Cheers

Mike T
Old 20th Jun 2021, 3:09 am   #29
trobbins
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphymad View Post
There is the hidden resistor which is made up from a couple of loops of winding wire in a specific place.
Mike...
Mike can you indicate where the 'hidden resistor' is located in the various winding sections? Given it is made from 'loops' of winding wire then that suggests it may be acting in a way as to balance primary half-winding leakage inductances (if located in a primary winding section), or even possibly a small inductance in the feedback secondary winding that carries secondary current and acts as a way to add some phase advance at very high frequency for stability.

BTW, the 1961 Crowhurst book "High Fidelity Sound Engineering" is available on-line (just google search for it) and interesting to note how Crowhurst has summarised the preceding decade of knowledge on certain matters.
Old 20th Jun 2021, 8:01 pm   #30
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Tim, from memory this part was a few turns of winding wire (10?) in a strip of SRBP and was perhaps 6mm in dia.
I believe it was connected between 2 winding sections and was just buried in the pitch

Ed
Old 20th Jun 2021, 8:14 pm   #31
Petedox
Pentode

If you scroll down almost to the bottom of this link, you can see Keith Snooks interpretation of the transformer windings including the resistor.

http://www.keith-snook.info/quad-ii-...amplifier.html
Old 21st Jun 2021, 2:58 am   #32
trobbins
Heptode

Thanks. So the extra resistor 'loop' is in series with the innermost wound section of the feedback winding (P-Q). It's plausible that the additional resistance or leakage inductance (or both) provided by that 'loop' is balancing some high frequency characteristic.

It does seem a bit strange that the stated resistance of the resistor 'loop' is 0.36 ohm and the stated resistance of P-Q is the same as Q-S at about 0.55-0.61 ohm, and that each secondary winding section that comprises P-Q and Q-S are each comprised of 51 turns. Given the photo of the resistor 'loop' showing only a few turns on a small SRBP strip, I'd expect it to be a lot less than 0.36 ohm given that the wound sections total up to be 0.55-0.61 ohm. Maybe 0.36 ohm relates to the total L2 winding section that contributes to P-Q, and not just the resistor 'loop' itself. As such, it seems that the resistor 'loop' is more about its leakage inductance contribution than its resistance contribution.
Closed Thread