UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2017, 9:58 pm   #121
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: "House" brands.

Talking of microwaves, I had a skip-find "Bejam" about 20 years ago. which I believe was a rebadged Brother.
Old 2nd Jun 2017, 10:14 pm   #122
paulsherwin

Bejam was a chain of frozen food supermarkets very like Iceland, launched when British households were buying freezers for the first time in the early 70s. Unlike Iceland they sold their own chest freezers, and microwaves too a bit later (to defrost the food from the freezer). They had some success, but were eventually bought out by Iceland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bejam
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 1:26 pm   #123
Gulliver
Hexode

My mother still has a Bejam branded freezer, huge thing over six feet tall...bought in the early 80s and still going strong. Never needed any sort of repairs apart from one of the food drawers cracked.

I've no idea who manufactured it but it's a quality piece of gear for sure.
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 1:50 pm   #124
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
The issue I have with branding in general is that people are very often fooled into thinking they're buying something more upmarket than they actually are. But on the bright side, some house brands are still good value for money and simply made by a reputable, though unpronouncible manufacturer of chinese or eastern european origin.

An interesting example might be Beko...which is a brand name of the manufacturer Arcelik-Koc Holding. I'll give them that one.....
They renamed themselves Grundig Elektronik A.S. a few years ago. I wouldn't call them a reputable manufacturer but as far as Turkish TV manufacturers go they might be the best (which mainly says something about the others).

In the last ten years or so of the CRT era, Beko was also the main supplier for the Audiosonic, Multitech and MT Logic brands (owned by a Dutch trading firm).
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 6:36 pm   #125
Gulliver
Hexode

Often the "house brand" would be placed at a price point below most of the branded products. It was then advantageous for the OEM not to reveal their identity if they also sold more expensive products under a famous name...even if the branded products were substantially different/better. Another potential selling point is that a shop/chain/catalogue could say "This is exclusive to us!".

Those Ferguson cassette recorders are interesting because they appear to be manufactured by Thorn and yet appeared under several names, most of which were not related to Thorn.

Other times, a once reputable name is sold...such as we now see with Bush at Argos. The Bush name, I guess, still carries some reputation and recognition but the products are only available at Argos and are usually cheap bottom range stuff. I know plenty of people who have no idea that Bush was once a maker of quality radios and televisions.
Closed Thread