UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Apr 2015, 12:06 pm   #201
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Obsolete Technologies that baffle the modern generation.

To be fair, I wouldn't know where to start, even with a raise borer
Old 5th Apr 2015, 1:17 pm   #202
Radio Wrangler

This thread makes the assumption that information on processes and techniques exist and that some people are not connected to it.

If I had the task of doing something new and it looked too difficult to do by the techniques I knew, I would sit down and design something new to do it.

Using the raise borer example because it was genuinely new to me; If' I had to make such a hole, I'd probably have designed a vertical tunnel boring machine to do the job.

Younger people without our backgrounds aren't stupid or helpless any more than we were. The right ones of them will invent new machinery to do new tasks, and if they were cut of from knowledge of how it had been done before, the right ones of them may be doing re-invention.

I'm worried that the modern emphasis on being a consumer more than on being an innovator might reduce the numbers of people who get the chance to do something special, but I think the people with the abilities exist just as much as they used to, but maybe more of them just feel bored.

David
Old 5th Apr 2015, 2:37 pm   #203
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Younger people without our backgrounds aren't stupid or helpless any more than we were...
Indeed.

But give the young anything with an IP address and they've got it sorted in no time!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 5th Apr 2015, 6:09 pm   #204
ms660
Dekatron

"Using the raise borer example because it was genuinely new to me; If' I had to make such a hole, I'd probably have designed a vertical tunnel boring machine to do the job."

Yes, that's what the raise boring machine effectively does, almost all raises are put up this way these days, in my day we had to drill and blast our way up, not an easy task and one that needed considerable skill and fitness (not for the feint hearted)

Anyways this is miles off topic for the general gist of this thread but doing what I described used I guess what could be classed as old technology and techniques, hence my original post, in a former life I used to mine tin for the 60/40 solder stuff amongst other things.

Lawrence.
Old 5th Apr 2015, 6:28 pm   #205
ben
Dekatron

Just this afternoon I turned on the TV here in Madrid, and on the news there was a piece about a hands-on display of vintage rotary telephones and a few other bits and pieces. (not sure what the event was as I didn't catch the start).
Apparently, after the inital shock of having to physically move the dial for each number, the younger people couldn't believe that such a big item was 'just' a telephone!
There was also a 'generation gap identifier', as in who knew how to rewind a c90 with a bic biro!
Old 5th Apr 2015, 6:35 pm   #206
mark pirate
Dekatron

A lot of youngsters have never seen a telephone with a dial, the truth is that pushbutton phones have been around for decades now.

I still have a classic 746 in the lounge. It is not used to make calls very often, but I love the traditional ring.
It also comes in handy in a power cut, unlike my modern cordless phones.

Mark
Old 5th Apr 2015, 6:47 pm   #207
Radio Wrangler

Telephones with electronic ringers are difficult to tell from ones on TV, but phones like the 746 with real bells are easily distinguished.

In the office at work, all the phones have the same ring and they can't be changed, so no-one can tell which one's ringing as the desks are clustered in islands. Fitness for purpose? Hah!

David
Old 5th Apr 2015, 7:09 pm   #208
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
In the office at work, all the phones have the same ring and they can't be changed, so no-one can tell which one's ringing as the desks are clustered in islands. Fitness for purpose? Hah!
Hence the neon lamps in the handsets (Handsets, No:7). Adaptable into fitness for purpose!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 5th Apr 2015, 7:30 pm   #209
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Telephones with electronic ringers are difficult to tell from ones on TV...
I can distinguish a Viscount from a Statesman from pretty much anything else It always amuses me to hear a a modern phone on the telly ringing like a classic, early 1980s BT Inphone!
Old 5th Apr 2015, 7:38 pm   #210
paulsherwin

The mods have given this thread a good run but we now feel it's time to call a halt.
Closed Thread