UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Apr 2006, 1:53 pm   #1
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Thumbs down ManualsCenter.com and manuals-in-pdf.com

I don't like publically criticising other companies, but I feel I must let you kow of my experiences with http://www.ManualsCenter.com, who also trade as http://www.manuals-in-pdf.com. Despite the domains, this company are in Poland.

I bought a service manual for my Philips CD303 from ManualsCenter.com. The website is all in English so I thought it reasonable to expect the manual to be in English. However it was in German, so it was of no use to me at all. It was also incomplete.

I emailed the company twice to complain about this and ask for a complete English copy or a refund, but heard nothing. I also emailed AllPay.pl (the card processing company they use) twice but heard nothing from them either. The AllPay complaints procedure page is only available in Polish.

Because of this I contacted my credit card issuer (Egg) who have refunded my payment and invoked a chargeback on the original transaction. Egg were very helpful and efficient with this, and didn't even ask for copies of the emails etc.

My advise would be to be wary of this company. They may have other manuals websites, but the payment through AllPay.pl would be a common factor. If you intend to purchase from them, contact them in advance to establish exactly what you will be receiving (such as language and completeness) before making a payment. They may be more willing to answer pre-sales queries than post-sales complaints.

It would be interesting to know whether other people have used them and received what they ordered.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 14th Apr 2006, 2:50 pm   #2
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: ManualsCenter.com and manuals-in-pdf.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning
However it was in German, so it was of no use to me at all.
I can help you to translate the things you don't understand.

Kind regards
Darius

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 14th Apr 2006 at 3:14 pm. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 14th Apr 2006, 3:16 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Thanks Darius. However I have now got a complete English paper manual and supplements from Stewart, so I'm sorted!

Paul Stenning
Old 14th Apr 2006, 7:42 pm   #4
dsergeant
Octode

I used manuals-in-pdf.com last week for a manual for a Sony DTC1000 DAT recorder. No problems with the manual, it was good quality and everything seemed to be there. I was also a bit taken aback when I was routed to the polish site to process my credit card and you are actually charged in Polish currency and not dollars. But all seemed OK there, not seen my credit card statement yet.

When I got the email with instructions to download the file that also re-routed me to a Polish site but the first time the web address was not recognised by my ISPs DNS servers. Got it fine when I tried a little later. As you say, all the stuff on the Polish sites is in Polish so not much use (though I guess my nephew could help me out with that as he spent a year in the country).

I normally stay clear of these companies as I have various more freely available service manual sites and of course Paul's excellent CDs.

Dave
Old 23rd Jun 2006, 3:37 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I am bumping this thread because someone in another thread is having problems with this outfit (no replies to presales emails). They also appear to trade as www.zarekmanuals.com and may have some other sites too. The common factor appears to be payments via AllPay.pl

Paul Stenning
Old 23rd Sep 2007, 12:47 pm   #6
percival007
Heptode

Hello Paul,
i have just got myself a 303 which has a few problems, one being a distorted output channel.

I notice from this thread you have a manual allthough you say it is in German and incomplete. Does it contain the schematics though? If so would you be able to send me a copy?

I would assume you paid for the manual so i would be happy to pay you for the manual and any costs you incur copying etc.

Cheers, Percy.
Old 23rd Sep 2007, 8:03 pm   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I deleted it ages ago, as someone here kindly sent me a paper copy. That is a ring binder full and I need to find it again (I haven't needed it since moving house so it's probably still in a box in the garage). I will have a look for it during the week and see if I can scan the circuits and PCB layouts. Does yours have the daughter-board with Sony chips on it or does it have the full Philips chipset?

Paul Stenning
Old 23rd Sep 2007, 9:32 pm   #8
percival007
Heptode

I haven't taken the bonnet off yet, i only took delivery of the unit on Saturday morning. I will take the top off tomorrow after work and let you know.

Thanks for looking, Percy.
Old 23rd Sep 2007, 11:42 pm   #9
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

Yes, I ordered a manual from ManualsCenter.com and was also a bit surprised to be taken to a Polish site to download it. I had to use another computer on my network to download the manual though, as this computer steadfastly refused to have anything to do with it! Probably because of firewall or some other protection that I have on this computer. I paid using PayPal so felt protected to some extent. The manual was fine. I was a bit concerned at the time when my main computer refused to do the download. I thought I had been had!
Old 23rd Sep 2007, 11:46 pm   #10
TNC
Hexode

Just to echo Paul's experience - Thursday last I ordered a user manual from User-Manuals.com (apparently a US base site) - for a Denon DRW 750 - which helpfully turned up in German!
No amount of emailing has elicited any response so far - I guess it will be a refund request to Visa and I shall be steering clear of them in the future.
atb

Trevor
Old 24th Sep 2007, 12:05 am   #11
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I can only say in fairness that I have obtained several manuals from <www.manuals-in-pdf.com> and the only problem I had, which was with a SONY HST88 manual, where the data was corrupted. This caused the screen to 'freeze' every time I tried to move from Page 1 to 2. Two emails to the company were needed to sort that one out
Old 24th Sep 2007, 7:26 pm   #12
percival007
Heptode

Hi Paul,

it would appear that i have a unit with the full complement of Philips I.C.'s in it. i think i spied a lone Toshiba chip but certainly no Sony ones.

I was mislead with the fault symptons. The unit plays a treat if manually loaded but the motor driven tray was not working. This i traced to the wires to the motor being open circuit. New wires fitted and all works well.

So, i shall not be requiring the manual after all, but you're offer to look was greatly appreciated.

All the best, Percy.
Closed Thread