UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2022, 7:18 am   #21
dglcomp
Heptode

Default Re: Yamaha PDP-100 digital piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
The Yamaha PSR range aren't really representative of modern electronic pianos Dave. The 170 has a very basic keyboard action that isn't touch sensitive, let alone properly weighted. However, it has a reasonably decent sounding grand piano preset (or at least the almost identical looking PSR175 does) and it responds properly to velocity via MIDI so at a pinch it could be partnered with a weighted MIDI keyboard to give a more realistic feeling piano.

I had a 30 year old Korg C15 digital piano in for repair last week and I would have to say that, while the weighted keyboard felt good to play, the sounds were very disappointing compared to the more modern cheap Yamaha PSR keyboards. I would expect the modern dedicated pianos to be even more impressive.
As I understand Korg pianos historically wern't that great soundwise, with Roland and Yamaha being the better sounding pianos, there were also some good ones from Technics, Kawai and Viscount, Kawai and Viscount still do have good mdels though Technics are no more, although they do have a place in history having the first proper sampled digital piano, the PX-1.
Another option would be the GEM Promega series which had the first digital pianos with modelling, they supposedly sounded really good and have a FATAR hammer action, you can still buy the Promega 2+, an updated version of the Promega 2, from the company that acquired the Generalmusic assets.

Another option would be to buy a workstation keyboard with an 88 hammer action as that would give you loads more features, on the S/H market something like a Fantom X/6G 8 or a Yamaha XS/XF 8 could be options. The piano sound on my XS7, despite not having the multi GB libraries or modelling of newer keyboards, is still excellent.

Personally I would skip getting a piano and get a digital pipe organ instead, but then you want someting more portable than an upright, not less!
Closed Thread