UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Oct 2020, 7:28 pm   #1
Mark Trotman
Tetrode

Default Digital Tuner to analog converter?

Hi,
I understand that you can buy the above? I’m enjoying my old vcrs for playback but would love to record on them again. Had good look on web and there seems to be loads but I just want one with RF connections.
Thanks for reading
Mark
Old 26th Oct 2020, 7:52 pm   #2
Simon Gittins
Heptode

Default Re: Digital Tuner to analog converter?

Most of them don't have an RF modulator these days, some older ones are listed in post #7 of this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...72#post1193472
Another possibility would be if the VCR has video and audio inputs.
Old 26th Oct 2020, 8:13 pm   #3
Mark Trotman
Tetrode

Thank you. Unfortunately I don’t have permission to look at the link. The video recorder has a bnc video out and a din plug for sound.Could this work?
Old 26th Oct 2020, 8:33 pm   #4
19Seventy7
Octode

If it's video out then I'd have thought not as it'd be the output to the monitor or TV, probably monitor if it's BNC.

You could also, slightly more complicated but more versatile, get a stand-alone RF modulator with RF out and other inputs. Amazon usually have a few for sale. Some have SCART only, AV only, or both.

Just another option to think about?

'77
Old 26th Oct 2020, 8:51 pm   #5
Mark Trotman
Tetrode

Thank you very much. Have seen one on Amazon that accepts AV input could I put an bnc to av adapter on it?
Old 26th Oct 2020, 9:00 pm   #6
19Seventy7
Octode

If you want to record to VHS on the same VCR, which is how I take it from what you've written, then to put it shortly, no.

You'd want to connect the RF output of the modulator to the RF aerial input of the VCR, and then connect a source to the modulator via AV, tune the VCR to the RF input and then record like that.

'77
Old 26th Oct 2020, 9:15 pm   #7
Simon Gittins
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Trotman View Post
Unfortunately I don’t have permission to look at the link.
It's in the Modern Technology section, only two more posts to go and you will be able to see it! In the meantime here is the list:
Goodmans GDR10 , GDR11 Digital TV Receiver

Humax F2-Fox-T , PVR9200T , the latter has a hard drive for recording programmes

Icecrypt T5000 , T2300HD *

Thomson DTi2300 * , DTi6300 Top Up TV

* modulator may be disabled by default

TVOnics MFR-200 , MFR-300

Early Ferguson FS01SDB

Does the VCR have a BNC video input?
Old 26th Oct 2020, 9:15 pm   #8
simpsons
Octode

Unusual for a video recorder to have video out via a BNC and audio via DIN. Just in case we are missing something, please advise machine make and model.

In addition, you mention video recorders in plural. Are these of different formats and again. some indication of what they are.

Earlier threads identify old DVB set top boxes with an RF Modulator, the Goodmans GDR11 being one, but caution that they may need a few parts in the power supply to be replaced as they are well past their service life. My one was working fine last time I used it, so fingers crossed.....

Chris
Old 26th Oct 2020, 9:51 pm   #9
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Trotman View Post
Hi,
I understand that you can buy the above? I’m enjoying my old vcrs for playback but would love to record on them again. Had good look on web and there seems to be loads but I just want one with RF connections.
Thanks for reading
Mark
It seems you are interested in early JVC VHS machines, these have composite video output via BNC and baseband audio via phono so no need to contemplate using RF.

To record off-air TV any Freeview, Freesat, Sky set-top box will do as a source, you just need a cable with a SCART plug on one end and BNC & phono plugs at the other, or a standard SCART to SCART with an adapter. No digital to analogue converter required.

The only gotya you may encounter is you need the lead to connect to the output pins of the SCART, not the inputs; so get an adapter that is switchable.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 26th Oct 2020 at 9:57 pm.
Old 26th Oct 2020, 9:58 pm   #10
Davewantsone
Hexode

What you need is a Multiview D35 or a D2B Multibox 6T. They were used in hotels to allow analogue only TVs to still work after switch over to digital .
The D35 and D2B convert a selected digital channel and transmits the analogue conversions on to any UHF channel 21-68 at once.
The D35 converts 5 digital channels with Teletext.
The D2B converts 6 digital channels with Nicam stereo sound.
They do appear on a well known auction site quite often.
Old 26th Oct 2020, 10:03 pm   #11
Mark Trotman
Tetrode

Thank you all for education. The vcrs are all top loading Ferguson clones and JVC. Ferguson model number 3v30. BNC Video in and out 2 of them and din audio in/out 1 of them
Thanks again
Closed Thread