UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Sep 2020, 6:10 pm   #21
Mooly
Octode

Default Re: 9V Pro-Elec Ultra batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iontrap View Post
I shall contact CPC see what they have to say. I have had an account for some years and their service has been excellent. No criticism there.
I think having read posts the Mercury thing is key here.
Sorry Pro-elec, its not just your batteries!
I've found CPC very fair over any issues raised.

Pro-Elec I've had issues with this 'own brand' before and left a pretty scathing review of a small desk lamp complete with pictures of the internals and the appalling build quality... which to CPC's credit is still there, pictures and all. In the review I said that CPC never responded, however they did off their own bat some time later.

They are an excellent company to deal with in my experience but these issues of poor product need bringing to their attention.
Old 17th Sep 2020, 8:44 am   #22
Iontrap
Pentode

To be fair to CPC they have already come back offering me replacements. I am reluctant however as it would bother me knowing Pro-cells were lurking in my various devices. I'll take credit. The batteries which use 6 AAAA (a tad smaller in fact) cells seem the norm usually welded in series except in some like Energizer they are loose connected in series by pressure contacts only. Some like Varta use a pile construction similar in form to the Zinc types. I wonder if these are less likely to leak?
Old 17th Sep 2020, 9:08 am   #23
Mooly
Octode

I wouldn't like to say on that tbh. Best advice I could give would be to stick to brands you have had no issues with.

So much of the Pro Elec and similar own brand product from CPC has caused me to seriously question the quality. As well as the lamp I had a very small oil filled radiator (those 600w mini types) that developed a leak in of all places the very top of the appliance. It started to feel slippery and examination showed a small pinhole type defect in the metal.

Another 'own brand' oil filled from CPC expired by developing some internal leakage/short and tripping the main RCB in the consumer unit. I've even had issues with 'own brand' LED lamps.

Even tins of foam cleaner don't work correctly, more squirts out from under the white nozzle cap than through the nozzles hole.
Closed Thread