UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Sep 2020, 6:24 pm   #1
Iontrap
Pentode

Default 9V Pro-Elec Ultra batteries

I had need of a 9v PP3 battery for a transistor radio today. The battery in the radio had burst its top. In my cupboard is a box of 'new' Pro-elec Ultra alkaline batteries bought from CPC. They are dated until July 2021. To my surprise all the remaining batteries were blowing their tops. Still sealed. Storage environment nothing unusual. I may have bought them a year or so ago as I do not get through that many PP3s but still not expected. Anyone else experienced this?
Imagine if these are being put in smoke alarms. Fortunately did not eat my terminals although the one in my Fluke has gone straight in the bin!

Come back Flying Bomb Battery Co all is forgiven
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7871.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	215751   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7872.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	215752  
Old 15th Sep 2020, 6:35 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: 9V Pro-Elec Ultra batteries

Urgh!

It really does seem that there's no guarantee-of-goodness on any battery these days. I've been using Tesco alkalines for the last couple of years [in D, AA, AAAA and PP3 sizes] and not had one go wonky.
Old 15th Sep 2020, 8:53 pm   #3
Techman
Dekatron

Yes, that's not unusual. I had boxes of Duracell ProCell PP3 9 volt batteries blow up in the cupboard well before their sell by date when I was at work. 2021 is very close to the limit to be honest, so I'm not surprised. I had one at work that exploded on the bench and the innards embedded themselves in a ceiling tile of the suspended ceiling - I've posted a picture of the evidence on this forum when this subject was discussed before. These batteries can be quite dangerous, so don't get your face over one that's started to blow the top off or it'll take your eye out! there's enough force to blow the case of your radio or DMM apart.

Earlier this year I heard a 'bang', but couldn't identify where it came from and a bit later I went to use my DMM and found it wouldn't work - you've guessed it, the Alkaline PP3 had exploded inside it!

My STRONG advice is to stick to the old zinc carbon types if you can, although I've had no trouble whatsoever with the Poundland Kodak Xtralife Alkaline brand, so I can recommend them...so far anyway.
Old 15th Sep 2020, 9:56 pm   #4
Iontrap
Pentode

Thank you Techman
These batteries had a stated shelf life of 5 years. I've had them 2. I expected volt drop. The unexploded ones 8V something but not seem them pop in the cupboard. The zincs have a pancake like construction. These Alkalines look like 6 tagged AAAs bundled up. I have bought single AA Pro-cell and they seem ok but I prefer the GP cells. Their zincs are called GP Green.
I wonder if there is just a couple of factories turning them out for various badges?
Old 15th Sep 2020, 10:10 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

I had a Maplin 6 x AAA PP3 do that a couple of years ago, still in date at the time. The failed cell blew a hole in the plastic end cap. Fortunately it wasn't installed in anythng.

Last edited by emeritus; 15th Sep 2020 at 10:11 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 15th Sep 2020, 11:39 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

The cells in alkaline PP3s are AAAA not AAA......
.........O..Chris....O
Old 15th Sep 2020, 11:48 pm   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

I've had one go in a fire alarm, but not explosively. The only warning was the usual budgie and it was well past it's design age.
As the makes are random, perhaps there's a problem with raw materials. Chances are there's a factory somewhere supplying a critical component to the industry, and the cases are tightly sealed unlike the batteries of old.
Old 16th Sep 2020, 7:11 am   #8
crackle
Rest in Peace

CPC should give a refund and send them back to their supplier. If the batteries are dated 2021 then they should not have leaked.
Mike
Old 16th Sep 2020, 8:42 am   #9
rontech
Heptode

I have found CPC very good to deal with.

On the battery issue I have a new DMM in which I installed a pair of new VARTA AA cells. ( best before date 2027 )

After a few weeks use I switched the DMM on one day and the display was all over the place and then all went blank. I opened the battery case to check the batteries and one cell was very hot at least 60 deg C.

Checked both batteries with my old DMM the cool one was 1.53 v the hot one ca 1.2 V.

Replaced both and all was well again.
Old 16th Sep 2020, 10:29 am   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Alkaline cells and batteries just aren't what they used to be. Nobody seems to be able to explain why.

I'm using low self-discharge NiMH instead more and more these days.

N.
Old 16th Sep 2020, 10:43 am   #11
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontech View Post
On the battery issue I have a new DMM in which I installed a pair of new VARTA AA cells. ( best before date 2027 )

After a few weeks use I switched the DMM on one day and the display was all over the place and then all went blank. I opened the battery case to check the batteries and one cell was very hot at least 60 deg C.
Varta are normally considered one of the most reliable battery brands. It just goes to show that these failures are happening regardless of brand. Maybe some subcontracting has been going on.
Old 16th Sep 2020, 10:54 am   #12
chriswood1900
Octode

Just checked the 9V Pro-elec cells I have dated 2023 and they are OK so far.
I do wonder if there has not been some changes to chemistry to either cut cost or meet some environmental regulations as they are definitely lot worse now than a few years ago. For me battery failures were a rare event now it seems to be regular only this week an ATC brand LR33 blew its top and Duracells leak as soon as you look away even when well in date!
Old 16th Sep 2020, 11:24 am   #13
wave solder
Hexode

I still wonder if what caused Alkaline cells to start being more unreliable was when the new Mercury free formula's were introduced.
Old 16th Sep 2020, 11:33 am   #14
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave solder View Post
I still wonder if what caused Alkaline cells to start being more unreliable was when the new Mercury free formula's were introduced.
I think you may be spot on there.

"Manufacturers around the world use mercury in batteries to prevent the buildup of internal gases that can cause the battery to bulge and leak."

https://www.epa.gov/mercury/mercury-...%20are%20small.
Old 16th Sep 2020, 11:34 am   #15
paulsherwin

I didn't think alkaline batteries ever contained mercury, but apparently so.
Old 16th Sep 2020, 11:38 am   #16
cmjones01
Nonode

Batteries seem to be cheaper now than they've ever been. If they're anything like most other consumer products, the brand on the packaging probably isn't a reliable guide to the characteristics of the batteries inside.

Until I more recently started using rechargeable NiMH cells in our childrens' toys, we used to get through quite a lot of Alkaline AA and AAA cells. I bought bulk packs of store-branded ones (from Carrefour and Saturn here in Poland) and they worked well, with no unexpected leakages, but they seem very inconsistent. In a series string of 3 or 4 batteries, it was not unusual to find one completely flat (<0.8V) and the others still serviceable (1.3V or more). That was a good excuse to show the children how to check each battery with the Avo rather than throwing them all away!

Chirs
Old 16th Sep 2020, 11:40 am   #17
emeritus
Dekatron

I remember reading that Mercury used to be applied to the plates of lead-acid accumulators to improve their performance. A reason given was that, while the Mercury amalgam surface layer did not affect the operation of the battery, it prevented local chemical reactions that caused plate deterioration. Not that this was the reason for the presence of Mercury in the original Mallory/Duracell batteries. In the 1960's I used to dismantle the exhausted Mercury button cells that my uncle used in his hearing aids to extract the blob of Mercury they contained.
Old 16th Sep 2020, 12:28 pm   #18
Iontrap
Pentode

I shall contact CPC see what they have to say. I have had an account for some years and their service has been excellent. No criticism there.
I think having read posts the Mercury thing is key here.
Sorry Pro-elec, its not just your batteries!
Old 16th Sep 2020, 4:35 pm   #19
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iontrap View Post
I had need of a 9v PP3 battery for a transistor radio today. The battery in the radio had burst its top. In my cupboard is a box of 'new' Pro-elec Ultra alkaline batteries bought from CPC. They are dated until July 2021. To my surprise all the remaining batteries were blowing their tops. Still sealed. Storage environment nothing unusual. I may have bought them a year or so ago as I do not get through that many PP3s but still not expected. Anyone else experienced this?
Imagine if these are being put in smoke alarms. Fortunately did not eat my terminals although the one in my Fluke has gone straight in the bin!

Come back Flying Bomb Battery Co all is forgiven
Hong Kong batteries had some strange names on them, Five Bats, Four Rams!
Panasonic, still seems alright.
Eveready US 9 volt batteries as well.
The last AA and AAA cell packs, I bought at Aldi's. Time will tell!
Dave, USradcoll1.
Old 16th Sep 2020, 5:39 pm   #20
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave solder View Post
ISTR that the zinc electrode used to be treated with mercury to form an amalgam which was resistant to chemical attack by the electrolyte. Quite how that attack tendency is dealt with in a mercury free cell I don’t know, but the new chemistry does seem to have teething problems.

Martin