UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Sep 2020, 1:47 am   #1
radiograham
Hexode

Default Marconiphone 235.

Hi,this radio has had a lot of owners being the subject of two previous posts in 2010 and 2015,it was in pieces when i got it.some caps were missing which i replaced and one resistor,also the original volume control which is a ww pot in the cathode of v1 had to be replaced.The chassis was given a coat of ali paint.It now works quite well,just need to reassemble it all now.
Old 15th Sep 2020, 2:05 am   #2
Top Cap
Octode

Default Re: Marconiphone 235.

That 'coat of paint' reminds me of a story my late Father told me. It was when he was a young lad and he called into a tiny radio workshop, this must have been in the early 30's.
The owner was sitting in the shop with both hands over his head and Dad asked him if he was alright? (I think the owner was a Fred Luckhurst).
He looked up at my Dad and said "The owner of this radio decided to tart it up, he has painted it all over the chassis, inside and outside, with aluminium paint. Everything is shorted out, it is ruined"
I suppose it makes a change from " I found all those funny Grey screws loose but tightening them up has made no difference".
Old 16th Sep 2020, 12:42 am   #3
radiograham
Hexode

Default Re: Marconiphone 235.

Hi,just to clarify the coat of ali paint this was applied sparingly to the top of the chassis to brighten it up,never any danger of shorting anything out,and not all over the wiring/components etc. Graham.
Closed Thread