UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2020, 10:37 am   #21
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Re: Talking Pictures TV

TPtv is just wonderful.

Highlights for me was a documentary on The Blue Streak...the UK's forgotten space program,
old detective shows like Gideon's Way PPublic Eye Edgar Wallace Mysteries and of course Special Branch(but I am missing Sandra Bryant)

At the moment engrossed in Rooms an afternoon soap from the 1970s..and proves you could make entertaining dramas without the characters being depressed and nasty...with issues, like today. However, TV restorers will note that the old busybody's TV is no good to her as the tube is blown LOL
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 11:14 am   #22
Dave757
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I enjoyed "Special Branch" last night.
Hi

I enjoy Soecial Branch every week, but agree with Poppydog that
the best episodes usually star Derren Nesbitt. Having said that,
this week's episode with George Sewell was exceptional.

Talking Pictures TV has been an absolute blessing during the lockdown,
but as said before, their portfolio of advertisers seems smaller. Let's
hope that mattress company keeps their adverts coming!

Kind regards
Dave
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 1:45 pm   #23
Lancs Lad
Heptode

I, too, enjoy many programmes on TPTV, but am very surprised that subtitles do not seem to be available.

Given the typical age demographic of this channel's viewers, I'd have thought this would've been an essential service to provide.

Even I (aged 50, with good hearing) often use the subtitles because of poor sound quality and/or excessively loud and intrusive background music on many other channels.

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 22nd Apr 2020 at 2:00 pm.
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 2:21 pm   #24
chriswood1900
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
I, too, enjoy many programmes on TPTV, but am very surprised that subtitles do not seem to be available.
Given the age of the content I doubt it ever had subtitles and I suspect the cost and time would be prohibitive for a small business.
Quote:
Given the typical age demographic of this channel's viewers, I would have thought this would've been an essential service.
Certainly useful but not essential.
Quote:
Even I (aged 50, with good hearing) often use the subtitles because of poor sound quality and/or excessively loud and intrusive background music on many other channels.
I find the dialogue on the old programmes a lot clearer than on the modern dramas with out the tendency to drown everything with pounding background music.
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 3:13 pm   #25
vidjoman
Dekatron

Subtitles. Look at their website and they will tell you which films are on and which have subtitles. They are having to go through each film to add them and it takes time. Old films don't come with subtitles. It's a TV thing.
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 3:58 pm   #26
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood1900 View Post
I find the dialogue on the old programmes a lot clearer than on the modern dramas with out the tendency to drown everything with pounding background music.
And actors could enunciate in those days.
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 4:30 pm   #27
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:

Given the typical age demographic of this channel's viewers, I'd have thought this would've been an essential service to provide.

You should keep checking on your particular films as they are adding them all the time....
....obviously, much of the stuff they show has not been in public view for donkey's years..
eg. The Red House with Edward G Robinson was last on British TV in 1966!!
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 4:55 pm   #28
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I watched "The Battle For The V1" [1958] at the Weekend [detailing the activities of the Polish Resistance during WW2, especially at Peenemunde in 1943]. It included a fair amount of archive footage and technical detail that made me think it was very close to a Drama-Documentary. One bit of film showed what looked like an R1155 dial glowing in a real aircraft but I'm not looking for that sort of thing all the time. TPTV is indeed a very invaluable resource. I don't subscribe to the view that it's the only thing available to watch though. The "serendipity factor" does mean than you never quite you what will turn up and that may often be something very surprising . Seems it was filmed in Sussex and there are quite a few comments [on-line] about how surprisingly good it is. There is a DVD version in "colour" from 2012 that gets positive reviews as well, although one person says b+w is better! It's not made clear but unlikely that it was filmed in colour I suspect. Based on the book "They Saved London" Bernard Newman 1955.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 22nd Apr 2020 at 5:21 pm.
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 6:46 pm   #29
chriswood1900
Octode

For those that would find subtitles useful as well as notification it on the schedule when it is available there is also a listing here https://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/subtitles/
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 7:08 pm   #30
akuram1
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSmith625 View Post
I find that I watch more of this channel these days than the the main BBC and ITV etc. One of the things I do like is that they endeavour to show the complete film or TV programme from the start including station ident eg- Thames, LWT etc. Also at the end they don't shrink the credits to a corner of the screen so you can hardly read them and blast out what is coming on next as seems to be the norm now by the main broadcasters. May they go from strength to strength.

Alan
Shrinking the credits is really annoying as it happens all the time on most channels. You can't see the main actors names but after the shrink its ok to see who made the tea or best boy.
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 7:18 pm   #31
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Well, that's me told!

Apologies, Chris, if I gave the impression that I was criticising TPTV.

That was not my intention at all

Peter.

Last edited by Lancs Lad; 22nd Apr 2020 at 7:41 pm.
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 11:03 pm   #32
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I would have thought the TPTV operation was largely administrative, ad sales, scheduling, and so forth, so I was surprised to see Noel Cronin in the Mail Online article working with actual footage on his Steenbeck.
Old 24th Apr 2020, 9:36 am   #33
MurphyNut
Heptode

My wife and I spend a huge amount of time watching talking pictures, we particularly like the less well known stuff, like B movies and long forgotten TV shows.
Some absolute gems turn up.........Long live talking pictures!
Old 24th Apr 2020, 10:47 am   #34
dave walsh
Dekatron

I find the interruption of "mood" by a rapid fire trail for something at the end of films or any program for that matter to be the major annoyance but as Forum members often comment, it's a product of the young [or faux young] mind set adopted by the people running the channels in a competitive environment.

They assume that most people aren't reading the Radio Times anymore or maybe anything in print or otherwise, so take a social media approach ie "direct nudge" contact. It's a sort of algorithmic technique that can only get worse but you just have to be selective the other way. I've [sometimes] had a useful "heads up" I'll admit but the problem rests with the overall manner and timing. Often it may not matter that much but sometimes it's totally insensitive. There are regular complaints in the RT but nobody takes any notice!

As for shrinking credits, that's a by-product of the process but if you want a list of the cast [in particular] that info and more is easily googled and printed out [often more so with older films]. That's a real advantage of the Internet. I did it with regard to the V1 film and was able to view striking [no pun intended] contemporary film posters. You can even buy one if you've the best part of £500 readily available

Dave W

I'm not religious but late one Easter I was watching an extraordinary Documentary that just showed worshippers filing past a Holy statue or Icon [I think it was in Northern Ireland]. All you saw was a closeup of the individual faces looking up but the overall effect was mesmerising. Unfortunately, at the climax, a voice came over the soundtrack on some sort of internal studio feedback loop. It was
only very brief but the mood had gone.

That was an accident though and not a policy!

Last edited by dave walsh; 24th Apr 2020 at 11:11 am.
Old 24th Apr 2020, 3:18 pm   #35
AC/HL
Dekatron

Time spent slowly rolling the ever lengthening end credits is time that isn't earning advertising revenue, which as said a few posts ago is sorely needed. Aficionados will have their own ways of gaining this knowledge, but I suspect most viewers simply don't care. The main "stars" and crucially the studios, would have been listed at the start. What is shown will, presumably, satisfy the contractual requirements or whatever is in the permission to screen, no more no less. In the case of the BBC, people expect to see the same levels of interruption as with commercial, so they do. You can't uninvent the wheel, sadly.
Old 2nd May 2020, 10:09 am   #36
Newgirl2013
Hexode

I missed a film Ordinary People at 1.30 yesterday
Sadly as the film was about to start my DVD Recorder decided to pack in
Does anyone have a copy they could let me have
Old 18th May 2020, 10:07 am   #37
dave walsh
Dekatron

This will very much interest fans on here. "Inside Talking Pictures, the ultimate in comfort TV" a two page feature [8-9] in the Observer supplement titled "the new review" yesterday. I didn't exactly expect major Corporate Premises but it's run from a house in a village near Watford. The staff group are the Cronin family team consisting of wife, husband and the Father-in Law, a former film distributor [well I suppose he still is.] Suitably vintage in every respect and the "business is run in a gloriously old-fashioned way". Sounding surprised, the journalist says "somewhat fittingly, they don't do Zoom".

It's a good read but I don't like the term "comfort" in the title, nostalgia or historical would have been better. The article should have been properly flagged up on the front page, along with the collection of Health Ministers. I only found it by accident but it was a pleasant surprise. The audience figures are apparently just over 3.5 million a week but the founder [Sarah] says it must be much more, judging by the post and phones calls they get! I can believe it!

Dave W

In case anyone is confused, it comes up on line ok but under the Guardian heading [as The Observer is it's "sister" paper!]

Last edited by dave walsh; 18th May 2020 at 10:20 am.
Old 18th May 2020, 10:41 am   #38
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newgirl2013 View Post
I missed a film Ordinary People at 1.30 yesterday
Sadly as the film was about to start my DVD Recorder decided to pack in
Does anyone have a copy they could let me have

Make a date for Mon 25 May 05:30 am

it's being repeated
Old 18th May 2020, 4:17 pm   #39
avocollector
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I've been known to wind up people a little by saying that, just like with cinemas, early televisions were silent and someone in each household had to play a piano or something before talky TVs were invented.

David
Classic - love it!!!!
Old 19th May 2020, 7:41 am   #40
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
This will very much interest fans on here. "Inside Talking Pictures, the ultimate in comfort TV" a two page feature [8-9] in the Observer supplement titled "the new review" yesterday. I didn't exactly expect major Corporate Premises but it's run from a house in a village near Watford. The staff group are the Cronin family team consisting of wife, husband and the Father-in Law, a former film distributor [well I suppose he still is.] Suitably vintage in every respect and the "business is run in a gloriously old-fashioned way". Sounding surprised, the journalist says "somewhat fittingly, they don't do Zoom".

It's a good read but I don't like the term "comfort" in the title, nostalgia or historical would have been better. The article should have been properly flagged up on the front page, along with the collection of Health Ministers. I only found it by accident but it was a pleasant surprise. The audience figures are apparently just over 3.5 million a week but the founder [Sarah] says it must be much more, judging by the post and phones calls they get! I can believe it!

Dave W

In case anyone is confused, it comes up on line ok but under the Guardian heading [as The Observer is it's "sister" paper!]
Its here
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...own-comfort-tv

Just found it
Peter
Closed Thread