UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2020, 6:28 pm   #1
kestrelmusic
Hexode

Default Hermes: A cautionary tale

I recently sold a nice 1970s amplifier to a chap in Colchester. I sent it via Hermes. It was packed in three layers of bubble wrap and placed in a sturdy cardboard box surrounded by a good depth of shredded paper. It arrived in Colchester with one corner of the case smashed and the aluminium vent twisted and broken. I had to give the buyer his money back and pay for return carriage. When I got it back I found more damage internally: one of the PCBs had a chunk actually broken away. What happened to it I can only conjecture, I think it must have been dropped from some height if not actually thrown.

I've used Hermes in the past and found them reasonably reliable, but I think the extra workload due to the lockdown has caused them to go to pieces. Another parcel I sent, containing an ECC82, was smashed to smithereens. I've also had a parcel go missing and another one delivered to the wrong address.

I had the devil's own job to get hold of their complaints department, their online "assistant" is worse than useless. I am still waiting for a response to my complaint.

So... well, I won't be using them again. Verb. sap. ...
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 6:33 pm   #2
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: Hermes: A cautionary tale

Although I think Hermes are woeful, sadly three layers of bubble wrap and shredded paper just isn't enough, it offers no impact damage protection, as you have found out to your cost.
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 6:40 pm   #3
Norman Raeburn
Heptode

There's nothing to pick between them, it's just your luck. I sent some Quad stuff by Parcel Hero in it's original boxes and double boxed. It was lost for nearly three weeks. I eventually got it back with cracked pcb's, sub boards rattling around inside the cases. No compensation as I didn't take pictures of the burst boxes before I opened them. If they decide to wreck it, it's getting wrecked. Norman
Old 3rd Aug 2020, 6:41 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Sorry, but we don't want another thread grumbling about couriers.

Hermes certainly don't have a great reputation, as a quick google will indicate. I have had my own difficulties with them in the past.
Closed Thread