UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2008, 11:08 am   #1
Aerodyne
Octode

Default Cowbit on the 27th

Just a quick reminder that Chas Miller's Radiophile Exposition will be held as usual at Cowbit village hall, this coming Sunday (27th). Actually, Chas is already in the area and I visited the Cowbit hall yesterday as they were celebrating the 20th anniversary of its opening. They'd asked Chas to do 'something' for a little get-together in the afternoon and sure enough, there he was with Jo, behind a stall filled with wartime memorabilia - and, incongruously, a working 9" Bush TV! We paid out for tombola (I won a container of scented talc, very useful) and scrounged a free cuppa.

Anyway, I've left the topic now so hastily returning to it, I'll be there next Sunday and should anyone be demented enough to want to meet me, look for a denim coat-style jacket, glasses, white hair and thin on the top. That should narrow the selection down to about half those attending...
There's a large auction list to get through, but no doubt auctioneer Phil will be as briskly amusing as ever.
See you there?
-Tony
Old 20th Apr 2008, 8:15 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Cowbit on the 27th

Hi Tony I will be there with Royboy if he has no other commitments. John.
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 2:03 pm   #3
dominicbeesley
Octode

I'd quite like to go to Cowbit but I can not find much information about, where to go or times etc. Please could somebody fill me in on the order of play.

Cheers

Dom
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 2:37 pm   #4
Aerodyne
Octode

Hi Dom
This April's Spring exposition seems to have slipped through without people noticing.
It is based at the village hall, Cowbit, Lincs - about 20 miles north-east of Peterborough. Sunday, 27th April, doors usually open about 10.30, ISTR. The hall isn't enormous, but there's usually enough to see, especially in the auction lots, to make the trip well worth while, and of course you can meet up with others like-minded. Meet Chas Miller, too, if you like! Not expensive to gain admission, though I forget precisely how much - no more than a £ or 2 at the most. Morning spent looking around the stalls that enthusiasts have set up and the sets on auction, plus coffee/tea and snacks of course. About 12.30 give or take, the auction will start and Phil Furneval takes this. Great fun, I find. There's a catalogue to purchase for the sale if you wish. If you intend to buy you'll need an auction number from the front desk.
Leave when you like: I usually go after the last lot that interests me has been sold.
Parking is available in the front gravel yard of the hall but this is often filled with exhibitor's vehicles and I usually park at the front where there is a sort of lay-by and a wide grass strip.
If you need more info or want to contact me, meet up or whatever, just let me know.
Tony

Last edited by Dave Moll; 22nd Apr 2008 at 2:55 pm. Reason: corrected date
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 2:52 pm   #5
dominicbeesley
Octode

Thanks for the info, is there usually a fair number of components / junk sets? My "junk box" is running low at the moment and I'd like lots of bits and pieces such as coil formers, valve holders, variable capacitors, etc for my evil experiments, or am I best waiting for the NVCF?

I'm fairly new to attending fairs, up until now I've usually got stuff from ebay / donations to the collection but am looking to save a few bob!

I'll see if I can convince the missus that its a nice idea to drive the 300 miles round-trip!?!

Dom
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 3:39 pm   #6
Sean Williams
Dekatron

There is usually a good selection of erm.... how do we say this politely...... old TAT!, both on the stalls, and in the auction.

There are usually a number of "ferreting boxes" entered in the sale, and normally only make a couple of quid a piece - they are usually full of old odds and ends that may or may not be useful!

I wouldnt consider the NVCF the sort of place to restock a junk box.......

Hope to see you there

Sean

Possibly one of the Porters at the auction....
Old 22nd Apr 2008, 7:21 pm   #7
Aerodyne
Octode

There's at least five 'ferreting boxes' indicated in the auction catalogue, plus headphones, wire, valves and other items. As Sean says, you'll also find stalls with goodies of all calibre. Admittedly its a fair round trip, but IMHO it beats Ebay!
-Tony
Old 23rd Apr 2008, 12:23 am   #8
dominicbeesley
Octode

Looks like I'll have to video the Grand Prix and come along: as long as you all promise not to tell me the results!

Is there a catalogue up-front or do I just bring some cash and hope?!

Cheers

Dom
Old 23rd Apr 2008, 12:28 am   #9
dominicbeesley
Octode

Ha Ha, old TAT that's definitely me!

Dom
Old 23rd Apr 2008, 8:03 am   #10
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Unfortunately I won't make it as we have another engagement that day, but well worth a visit, Dom, as is the NVCF. You can't miss Sean ....
Old 23rd Apr 2008, 9:19 am   #11
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Dom,

Catalogues are available on the door - a couple of quid from memory

Sean
Old 23rd Apr 2008, 9:46 am   #12
dominicbeesley
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
Unfortunately I won't make it as we have another engagement that day, but well worth a visit, Dom, as is the NVCF.
I've been looking forward to the NVCF for ages, never managed to make it so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
You can't miss Sean ....
#

Am intrigued now!
Old 27th Apr 2008, 12:37 am   #13
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Just got back from setting out the auction for tomorrow - lots of nice stuff there!

Look forward to seeing some of you!

Sean
Old 27th Apr 2008, 7:29 pm   #14
Aerodyne
Octode

I'd just like to record my thanks to Sean for his help at Cowbit today. A very enjoyable day was spent there. I met folk I knew, and folk I didn't previously - Sean, for example! I left just before the sale finished, a few £s poorer, a few items richer and very tired but pleased.
-Tony
Old 27th Apr 2008, 8:51 pm   #15
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Have just got home!
Nice to meet a few other forum members - certainly looks like Dominic had a good time!

I must say thanks to anyone that purchased some of the stuff I entered! - I got shot of a whole vanload of stuff!

I did also come back with a few items (as did my son.......) - nothing domestic however, a couple of hulking brutes from the military!

Cheers
Sean
Old 28th Apr 2008, 11:03 am   #16
dominicbeesley
Octode

Yes, thanks to everyone, I had a great day! Well worth the 7 hour round trip. Now I've got a lot of sorting and putting away to do - by order of the management!

Dom
Closed Thread