UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2016, 7:54 pm   #1
birksholt
Pentode

Default VHS top loader repairs and thanks

Hi, I've been reading previous threads on this forum for a while and thought I'd share some successes I've had fixing early top loading VHS videos and also say thanks to those who've contributed to those previous discussions. I've learned a lot from you.

Thorn/Baird 8940 - replaced the cassette lamp, belts and a fuse on the regulator board. The capstan belt had turned to a tar-like substance and I had to scrape it off with a knife. Working brilliantly now.

Ferguson Videostar 3V30 - This one I think had been dropped at some point as the regulator board had two big cracks in it. I stuck it back together with epoxy resin and bridged the cracked tracks with solder and a couple of jumper wires. Replaced the belts, cleaned all the tyres and replaced the spring on the reel idler (used a spring from an old broken camcorder cut to size).

Hitachi VT-11 - Same again, re-belt, cleaned tyres, ended up turning the reel idler tyre inside out. The rewind and fast forward is still a bit sluggish but not too bad.

I'm really pleased with the results of these projects and as I say I've learned a lot of what to look for and details about particular decks etc from here so thanks very much.
Old 27th Feb 2016, 12:05 am   #2
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Default Re: VHS top loader repairs and thanks

Nice. I have the following top loading VHS machines:

1979 JVC HR-3330TR working, new belts
1981 National Panasonic NV-7500-EM half-working with new belts
1984 Hitachi VT-8E working, new belts and pinch roller

Fivos
Old 27th Feb 2016, 12:28 am   #3
birksholt
Pentode

TR? Is that a multi standard one? I have the UK PAL version but it's not working at the minute. Having trouble getting the correct belts.
Old 27th Feb 2016, 3:06 am   #4
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Yes. It is the very rare multi system version (PAL/SECAM/NTSC 4.43). Here's a belt kit for this machine:
http://www.donberg.ie/descript/1/11052.htm
Closed Thread