UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2016, 6:06 pm   #1
Henenen
Tetrode

Default Help with Sony DXC-M2 broadcast camera/power/transformer

To my great delight I have acquired a 1985 Sony DXC-M2 3-tube video camera.

However within 30 seconds to a minute of powering it up, the power adaptor/transformer switched off and now I can't get it to switch on again.

Tried the plug fuse, tried an alternate kettle lead. Opened up the power supply and looked for an obvious internal fuse - couldn't see one. Would they even have a fuse?

Attached are pictures of what the power unit looks like.
It powers the camera but can also has a composite signal (BNC) output. (The camera has a video output also).
It's model number is a Sony CMA-8CE.

Anything else I could try? Could it be a dry joint? (Would a joint likely crack after 30 seconds of use?)

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110811a.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	120651   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110812a.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	120652   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110813a.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	120653  
Old 25th Feb 2016, 7:47 pm   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Help with Sony DXC-M2 broadcast camera/power/transformer

Hi there
Although I'm not familiar with that particular unit I would suspect it's a switch-mode power supply because of the wide voltage input range. Quite probably it's not been used for a while. It's likely to have a couple of switching transistors and some capacitors which probably have failed and tken out the transistors, just like they did on the C7 video recorder.
You'll have to open the bonnet and have a look. I'll bet there's a blackened fuse in there - don't replace it! Report back and we'll try and help. Usual question - no offence intended - how experienced are you in reapir of this type of equipment?
Glyn
Old 26th Feb 2016, 1:29 am   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Those voltage ranges are quite specific, i.e. not straight 110-240, bit in two or more steps.
Check for an internal switch or link/s, and a blackened fuse.
Old 26th Feb 2016, 1:45 am   #4
Nicklyons2
Octode

Isn't the voltage selector centre a fuse holder? By the way was it set for 240V or had someone left it set to a lower voltage? Is the Cannon connector a 3 pin Audio Out or a 4 pin DC out? If it's a DC out: do you feed the camera power via the multicore OR the 4 pin?
Old 1st Mar 2016, 12:02 am   #5
Henenen
Tetrode

Hi, the voltage was set to 240v, yes.

I unscrewed the voltage selector and there was a weird metal chamber inside that looked like it could contain a fuse, but I later found the fuse under a circuit board at the other end of the unit. Please could someone explain what that chamber was?

So, the fuse was up the other end, near the power switch. It was hard to see as the PCB holding it wouldn't lift very far out. The fuse looked OK though, no blackening or break in the wire.

How experienced am I... not very I'm afraid. Need very basic steps/suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110846.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	120874   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110847.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	120875   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110843.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	120876   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110848.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	120877  
Old 1st Mar 2016, 11:00 am   #6
Nicklyons2
Octode

As I said, the mains input fuse fits in the 'weird chamber'. Can't remember what the original value was. Try a 1.6A or 2A anti-surge type with a 3A plug fuse and see if the fuse/es go violently or, if you're lucky, it works. If you've a variac wind the voltage up on that. If it's faulty and you're 'lucky' the input filter capacitor or bridge rectifier may be all that's faulty.
Old 1st Mar 2016, 11:49 am   #7
kan_turk
Hexode

I would be concerned as to what became of the original fuse - could it have fallen out unnoticed? As there must have been a fuse for the unit to initially power up even if it was for only 30 secs - fuse on PCB will be on low voltage output side
Old 1st Mar 2016, 12:40 pm   #8
Henenen
Tetrode

I was very careful when I unscrewed it last night, nothing fell out of it.

Therefore there was definately nothing in that chamber when it powered up for 30 seconds.
Closed Thread