UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Feb 2016, 3:27 pm   #101
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Crackling Inside Beovision 7802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
4 hours a day is average for the great British public, allegedly
I suppose watching means different things to different people. I mean I sit and only watch the TV the whole time, but some people have it on while doing other things as well, which might count for statistics just as much, but isn't quite the same thing.
Old 13th Feb 2016, 7:06 pm   #102
DAVE123
Triode

Hi Okto1984,

I've managed to sort out the SCART 'problem' now. You're quite right - it's channel 0. I've bought a brand new after market Remote Control (the original was just draining the battery). I've kept the original anyway, but this works great now. As you say, they're amazing sets for the time and hold up pretty well today. Mine hasn't had as many problems as yours, but like yourself, I want to make it as perfect as I can. Many thanks for the tip with the switch. I'll head on over and buy one of those now

I'm not on here that much, but just want to thank you for all your help!
Old 20th Feb 2016, 10:51 pm   #103
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Dave123,

I'm glad some of the things in this thread have helped.

Your remote draining the batteries is different to to my experience. Both of mine last pretty well. In fact, as they take the 9v ones, I often just use the old ones from the yearly smoke alarm battery change, and even they last some months. Maybe you had bad batteries, or there's something wrong with the remote?

Couple of other things I've discovered might be useful too.

If you ever need to do any soldering on the circuit boards, it's generally pretty easy to take the whole board out and work on it. I took photos with my phone to remember where the wires go. However, I found the very small pads can be a little fragile and may be accidentally lifted when removing components to replace. I was still getting used to soldering then, which I imagine was part of this, but even now I still feel the little pads were notably more fragile than other things I've worked on. My solution was where possible to carefully clip the component off its leads before de-soldering. The leads would just drop out the other side when I melted and wicked up the solder. There is the risk of the small bits of lead escaping and shorting out something however when you do this, so I kept careful track of those and counted them again at the end, but it did mean no damage to the pads. The bigger pads proved pretty robust, but being cautious never risked anything, so I did them the same way when I could.

Also, both my sets behave weirdly around 2G mobile phone signals. The speakers buzz, and oddly, and if the phone is close enough the set behaves like you're pushing the reset button on the remote. This resets all the things like brightness and volume if you changed them with the remote earlier, and if the set is in standby it wakes it up. The effect was repeatable every time I moved the phone close enough, and affects both sets, so I think it's not a fault. Just an unexpected effect the designers could never have anticipated. It may also be specific to my mobile, as I didn't test other mobiles, but if anything odd starts happening it might be your mobile is too close!

Last edited by Okto1984; 20th Feb 2016 at 10:58 pm.
Closed Thread