UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2021, 5:05 pm   #21
ScottishColin
Octode

Default Re: ZX Spectrum Issue 2 / new TVs

That was as Sir Clive intended - i.e. no mod.

If the mode is reversible, I might give that a go - do you happen to know?

Colin.
Old 29th Aug 2021, 6:22 pm   #22
Timbucus
Octode

Yes if you do it carefully just lifting the resistor off the phono and desoldering the video feed to put directly a wire link or via the Capacitor - I have done several usually with the capacitor.

https://spectrumforeveryone.com/tech...the-48k-range/
Old 29th Aug 2021, 8:29 pm   #23
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Sirius will have to crop the image!
Looking at it through a crack between my fingers, the same as I would any other scene of unimaginable horror.

The actual screen image is not too bad, about as good as the original Spectrum got, unfortunately. The most unattractive thing about it was the way the colours slowly wobbled / crawled on the boundaries of various elements of the image - See: 'Dot Crawl'.

Even conversion to composite would not fix that because the problem is inherent in the video circuitry which generates the colour composite video before it gets passed on to the RF modulator, so the dot crawl is already present even in the initial composite video.

I'm afraid it's just a limitation you have to live with on the original Spectrum unless you are prepared to shell out for one of the aforementioned add ons which rip the screen image data directly from the screen RAM, bypassing the original video generation circuitry altogether.

Even then, there is the famously limited colour resolution which only allows 2 colours within any given character square on the screen - see: 'Colour Clash'.

You can shift a sprite 1 pixel at a time but you can only shift the colours 8 pixels at a time. That's why so many Spectrum games which made full use of the graphics pixel resolution had largely monochrome screens - games like Alien 8 / Knight Lore for example.

I always admired the exploits of artists who worked on the Spectrum and somehow managed to produce decent colour images despite only being able to place two colours in any given character square on the screen. I didn't even try, I drew a few pictures on the Spectrum using OCP art studio which I enjoyed using, but they were always monochrome images.
Old 29th Aug 2021, 8:39 pm   #24
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Since you now have a working Spectrum setup, are you aware of World Of Spectrum?

https://worldofspectrum.org/

Almost every Spectrum title you will remember is there, available to download with the permission of the rights holders. Most are in a file format such as .TZX but there are utilities which will convert those to an audio stream format so that they can be loaded into a real Spectrum.

There were a few Rare exceptions, people who did not give permission for WOS to host copies of their software titles - the most obvious missing ones are the ones by Ultimate-Play The Game.

As well as software, you'll also find scanned copies of many of the better books about the Spectrum.
Old 29th Aug 2021, 11:33 pm   #25
ScottishColin
Octode

Thank you. I will look.

I wonder if there is anything like SD2PET for spectrums?

Colin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Since you now have a working Spectrum setup, are you aware of World Of Spectrum?

Almost every Spectrum title you will remember is there, available to download with the permission of the rights holders. Most are in a file format such as .TZX but there are utilities which will convert those to an audio stream format so that they can be loaded into a real Spectrum.

There were a few Rare exceptions, people who did not give permission for WOS to host copies of their software titles - the most obvious missing ones are the ones by Ultimate-Play The Game.

As well as software, you'll also find scanned copies of many of the better books about the Spectrum.
Old 30th Aug 2021, 12:21 am   #26
Timbucus
Octode

There is a multitude of available SD card solutions for all sorts of prices - Byte delight does a nice bare board one that is about the cheapest which I have on my Grey 128K.

https://www.bytedelight.com/?product...-pro-mini-lite

I also have the future (from the same stable as the SD2PET) which is the most polished... but, a tad more expensive which I use with my Toastrack and old 48K machines.

https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/sho...mmcfuture.html

If you just want to simply load TZX files into the audio port then seek out the many TZXDUINO items - there is guidance to build your own from an Arduino and some components somewhere - I just bought one from a well known site...
Old 30th Aug 2021, 11:38 am   #27
ScottishColin
Octode

I used to have a Sinclair printer and two microdrives. I think they're probably a step too far now. I can't believe there's many printers that work still in existence. I went through about 10 before I got a working one.

Colin.

Quote:

Old 30th Aug 2021, 7:47 pm   #28
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Printers - apparently the main failure on those is the drive belt - not sure if replacements are available from retro suppliers.

There is an interesting bit of hardware available for the original microdrive units which replaces the original microdrive mechanics / electronics with a PCB with an SD card slot on it, accessible through the slot the cartridge originally went into. It's called the Vdrive ZX. It makes the Microdrive as reliable and useful as they should have been to start with. As far as the Spectrum and Interface 1 know, they are still writing to / and reading from a tape, rather than a memory card.

If you still have an Interface 1, at least one microdrive unit and some cartridges be aware that there can be a problem with the foam pressure pads - they turn to liquid brown goo and if you try to run the cartridge with a pad in that state the goo will end up inside the cartridge. I think at least one person offers a pad replacement service.
Old 30th Aug 2021, 8:09 pm   #29
Timbucus
Octode

They are easy to refelt - I have a video on it... https://youtu.be/bzRc6S7cCHk my vDrive ZX is to the right although not shown running in this video on the real drive which obviously work with it - I use it to recover the contents of the carts I do refelt as it acts exactly like a real full capacity unit.
Old 30th Aug 2021, 8:27 pm   #30
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Reading Colin's #27 I think he meant that although he did originally have microdrives he's not considering going back to that level of Spectrum hardcoreness again.

For just loading up a few games quickly and reliving your youth for a few minutes, one of the SD card systems discussed earlier is probably the better bet.
Old 30th Aug 2021, 9:11 pm   #31
Spec-chum
Tetrode

I would just add if your going to take apart the Speccy, be cautions of the keyboard membrane if it is an original one. They usually go brittle and can easily break not matter how careful you are. Modern replacements are available though, and can highly recommend both online sellers ZX RENEW, and RETROLUEM for spare parts.
Old 31st Aug 2021, 4:38 pm   #32
ScottishColin
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec-chum View Post
I would just add if your going to take apart the Speccy, be cautions of the keyboard membrane if it is an original one. They usually go brittle and can easily break not matter how careful you are. Modern replacements are available though, and can highly recommend both online sellers ZX RENEW, and RETROLUEM for spare parts.
Thanks for this - I'll bear it in mind when I get to it.

Colin.
Old 31st Aug 2021, 4:40 pm   #33
ScottishColin
Octode

Quote:
Reading Colin's #27 I think he meant that although he did originally have microdrives he's not considering going back to that level of Spectrum hardcoreness again.

For just loading up a few games quickly and reliving your youth for a few minutes, one of the SD card systems discussed earlier is probably the better bet.
I bought one of these - I'll let you know how it goes.

Colin.
Old 31st Aug 2021, 4:42 pm   #34
ScottishColin
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbucus View Post
Yes if you do it carefully just lifting the resistor off the phono and desoldering the video feed to put directly a wire link or via the Capacitor - I have done several usually with the capacitor.

Thank you.

Having retired and then got bored during Covid, for my sins I have started work again. At least I can work from home now, so I don't need to do stupid amounts of travel like I used to.

That's a long-winded way of saying I'll get round to this, but probably not until the weekend.

Colin.
Old 31st Aug 2021, 5:24 pm   #35
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishColin View Post

Colin.
So did I! The Future one in my case. Should be here around midweek.
Old 31st Aug 2021, 6:07 pm   #36
ScottishColin
Octode

I can't see where the website link went - here it is again:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/5393...eplacement-for

Colin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishColin View Post
Quote:

Colin.
Old 31st Aug 2021, 9:13 pm   #37
ScottishColin
Octode

Done. Cleaned the case and everything.

My goodness - the difference is like night and day on the screen; it's so much better than it was. Thanks.

The motherboard has a couple of 'additions' on it (see attached) - I guess that was par for the course with Spectrums?

Colin.

Quote:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210831_200350.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	240414  
Old 31st Aug 2021, 9:55 pm   #38
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Yes, I think mine originally had that sprawled-transistor mod fitted, so it's definitely an original Sinclair mod and not something which someone has done later.

Some others had an entire IC planted on top of one of the other ICs with flying leads going to it.

The position of the keyboard connector relative to the heatsink explains why so many of the keyboard ribbon connectors became brittle with age.
Old 31st Aug 2021, 10:08 pm   #39
Timbucus
Octode

That is an Issue 2 (my favourite), a late one with the -5 ULA the sockets indicate it was probably a 16K that was upgraded to 48K

https://spectrumforeveryone.com/tech...ectrum-models/
Old 31st Aug 2021, 11:09 pm   #40
ScottishColin
Octode

I'm curious why that version's your favourite?

Colin.

Quote:
That is an Issue 2 (my favourite), a late one with the -5 ULA the sockets indicate it was probably a 16K that was upgraded to 48K

https://spectrumforeveryone.com/tech...ectrum-models/
Closed Thread