UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2021, 10:28 pm   #21
alexpop
Triode

Default Re: Hacker GP42 Gondolier query?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
If you have some flat bladed screwdrivers, some alcohol and q tips and some oil, then you can fix that problem yourself! The start of this video is relevant here.
No WiFi at the moment I’ll have a look tomorrow.
Thx

( Jims radio shop)

Looks good.
Old 21st Oct 2021, 7:04 am   #22
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Is the Centre Stacking Spindle Still in situ on your deck? There is plenty of help on here as to how to service this Garrard deck, it might be something you can do yourself to avoid what might be high costs?
Large spindle attached( inside ) small spindle on turntable.
Well most of the automatic functions of the Garrard 3000 will never work without using the stacking spindle and overarm correctly. It might just be that you are not familiar with using an Autochanger?
Old 21st Oct 2021, 10:11 am   #23
alexpop
Triode

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is the Centre Stacking Spindle Still in situ on your deck? There is plenty of help on here as to how to service this Garrard deck, it might be something you can do yourself to avoid what might be high costs?
Large spindle attached( inside ) small spindle on turntable.
Well most of the automatic functions of the Garrard 3000 will never work without using the stacking spindle and overarm correctly. It might just be that you are not familiar with using an Autochanger?
Good morning.
That occurred to me, but couldn’t dislodge the single smaller spindle pole. Thought it may reset the arm functioning properly. What’s the procedure to change spindles?
Thx
Old 21st Oct 2021, 10:21 am   #24
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Well use some oil and wait. then gently pull it out with padded pliers if needed. It is designed to be readily removed. When you insert the stacking spindle, set the sliding segment to the 20 to 2 position (as on a clock) and locate it in the spindle hole, mabye twist it slighty, and it will click in to postion. You cannot expect your Garrard deck to function automatically without it! Once you've stacked on the records, swing back the overarm and push it gently onto the stack. And off you go.
Old 21st Oct 2021, 11:13 am   #25
alexpop
Triode

Quote:
Well use some oil and wait. then gently pull it out with padded pliers if needed. It is designed to be readily removed. When you insert the stacking spindle, set the sliding segment to the 20 to 2 position (as on a clock) and locate it in the spindle hole, mabye twist it slighty, and it will click in to postion. You cannot expect your Garrard deck to function automatically without it! Once you've stacked on the records, swing back the overarm and push it gently onto the stack. And off you go.
Thanks for the help!
What oil do you recommend?
Old 21st Oct 2021, 3:07 pm   #26
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

3 in 1 or Sewing machine oil. WD40 as a last resort.
Old 21st Oct 2021, 3:56 pm   #27
alexpop
Triode

Quote:
3 in 1 or Sewing machine oil. WD40 as a last resort.
3 in 1 sewing machine oil? I’ll try and get that. Tried with small flat screwdriver, but small spindel is stuck hard .. thought of pliers. Not sure the arm will correct itself with larger spindle pole, though auto changer might work. Guess I’ll have to look under the hood ...see two screws connected to the turntable and five screws connected to mount board. The four screws underneath/ rubber feet, taken them off ... guess for legs, ala Dansette.

Last edited by alexpop; 21st Oct 2021 at 4:18 pm.
Old 21st Oct 2021, 4:35 pm   #28
alexpop
Triode

GP42 related.

Before I found out about the tracking fault. I initially was going to ask about cleaning rexine grey top, with fairly liquid cleaner or something to spruce it up though it looks not bad. Also, Acos GP93-1 .. With LP/78 styli.. availability factor.
Old 21st Oct 2021, 4:48 pm   #29
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Maybe I'm not following this Thread very well - so what's wrong now with the arm tracking? Also the Hacker GP42 does not uses an Acos GP93-1, but an Acos GP96-1 cartridge. Yes, you can use a detergent and apply it with a used medium toothbrush and it should clean up very well.
Old 21st Oct 2021, 7:04 pm   #30
alexpop
Triode

Quote:
Maybe I'm not following this Thread very well - so what's wrong now with the arm tracking? Also the Hacker GP42 does not uses an Acos GP93-1, but an Acos GP96-1 cartridge. Yes, you can use a detergent and apply it with a used medium toothbrush and it should clean up very well.
Hi Edward,
Thx for the tip .. detergent/ toothbrush.
The deck’s arm the cartridge reads Acos GP93-1( Silver Sticker )
Arm tracking ? Same problem ( which I haven’t got to fixing /getting repaired), just that the arm doesn’t finish its cycle of playing the 45rpm completely sticks last minute / loops.

Thx again -appreciated.
Old 21st Oct 2021, 11:22 pm   #31
Michael Maurice

I'm based in London and repair/restore these professionally. Please see my website. I may have an AL42 add on amplifier but it will be expensive.

I normally strip the turntable, clean it and relubricate as necessary. I also change a number of components in the amplifier. The end results are superb.

Please let me know if you need help.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 12:21 am   #32
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
... the arm doesn’t finish its cycle of playing the 45rpm completely sticks last minute / loops.
If you look at the video linked in my earlier post, that is covered. There is a toothed cam which needs cleaning and relubricating. Until this is done, the arm sticks in one location when playing a record. The same parts cause the auto functions to remain inoperative, so you will kill two birds with one stone by doing the cam.

Do not try to remove the deck by using the two large-ish screws visible on the deck, these are to clamp the deck down for transport and will not release anything. In any case, you do not need to lift the deck up to access the cam, just unclip and lift off the circular platter/turntable. The video should make all this clear.

The short spindle stuck in place can be removed by heating or applying solvent, leaving it for an hour then using padded pliers as has been suggested. But until you do the cam, it's irrevelant what spindle is in place anyway!

It's really not hard to do. But if you are concerned about your capacity to do it, I would suggest taking up Michael's offer.
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 12:21 pm   #33
alexpop
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post
I'm based in London and repair/restore these professionally. Please see my website. I may have an AL42 add on amplifier but it will be expensive.

I normally strip the turntable, clean it and relubricate as necessary. I also change a number of components in the amplifier. The end results are superb.

Please let me know if you need help.
G’day Michael.
Checked your site, great collection I must say!!!!’
Regarding your add on AL42.. I would only use the GP42 for 45’s some Mono albums. But .. I’ll let you know if I need help. Thank you for your offer.

Regards Alex
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 12:36 pm   #34
alexpop
Triode

Quote:
Quote:
... the arm doesn’t finish its cycle of playing the 45rpm completely sticks last minute / loops.
If you look at the video linked in my earlier post, that is covered. There is a toothed cam which needs cleaning and relubricating. Until this is done, the arm sticks in one location when playing a record. The same parts cause the auto functions to remain inoperative, so you will kill two birds with one stone by doing the cam.

Do not try to remove the deck by using the two large-ish screws visible on the deck, these are to clamp the deck down for transport and will not release anything. In any case, you do not need to lift the deck up to access the cam, just unclip and lift off the circular platter/turntable. The video should make all this clear.

The short spindle stuck in place can be removed by heating or applying solvent, leaving it for an hour then using padded pliers as has been suggested. But until you do the cam, it's irrevelant what spindle is in place anyway!

It's really not hard to do. But if you are concerned aboutHi your capacity to do it, I would suggest taking up Michael's offer.
Hi Ben.. thank you for replying. Just got the sewing oil, padded pliers next. Not that bothered with auto changer as I won’t be stacking 45’s, but guess good to have option. When I bought the GP42 on Monday the Hacker was playing a 45rpm 7” single, but I didn’t wait till end of song ( to find out the problem .. my mistake ). So I’ll have a look at it later. Thx for tips, appreciated.
Old 24th Oct 2021, 12:12 pm   #35
alexpop
Triode

Quote:
Quote:

It's really not hard to do. But if you are concerned about your capacity to do it, I would suggest taking up Michael's offer.
Video link < ?
I had a look at the 80min YouTube clip. Blowtorch was used to loosen cam teeth which seems to operate the arm by moving it. Don’t know if hairdryer would help?
Old 24th Oct 2021, 1:27 pm   #36
Kentode
Octode

Yes, you can use a hairdryer to loosen up cams and shafts with solidified grease. The picture below is the speed change shaft from a siezed HMV record player. I warned it up until it was uncomfortable to the touch, at which point the shaft could be rocked back and forth whilst lifting using a cloth.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211024_132014.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	244102  

BVWS member
Old 24th Oct 2021, 1:34 pm   #37
alexpop
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post
Yes, you can use a hairdryer to loosen up cams and shafts with solidified grease. The picture below is the speed change shaft from a siezed HMV record player. I warned it up until it was uncomfortable to the touch, at which point the shaft could be rocked back and forth whilst lifting using a cloth.

Hope this helps.
Thx Ken.
I’ll have a go at that. 👍
Closed Thread