UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2021, 2:14 pm   #1
unitelex
Hexode

Default 20mm > 30mm fuse adaption

I keep a stock of a full range of 20mm fuses, however I don't stock many in 30mm.
At a pinch a 20mm fuse can be converted to fit a PCB/Paxolin mounted 30mm fuse holder by recovering the end caps from the dead 30mm fuse and soldering these, (reversed) onto the ends of the 20mm fuse.

Obviously a suitably rated 20mm fuse should be used to replace the original.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20mm to 30mm fuse conversion.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	246661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fitted to paxolin holder.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	246662  

Last edited by unitelex; 26th Nov 2021 at 2:18 pm. Reason: Added additional photo
Old 26th Nov 2021, 4:50 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: 20mm > 30mm fuse adaption

Take care when soldering to the end-caps of fuses; they are usually attached to the glass using a heat-melt glue. If you heat the end-cap to solder-heat the glue melts, then the increased air-pressure inside due to the heating will cause the end-cap to pop off!
Old 26th Nov 2021, 5:43 pm   #3

Neat trick, now stored away just in case.

Old 26th Nov 2021, 6:38 pm   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

- At least if the end does pop off it's a common size so we can afford to practice..bearing in mind old fuses sometimes just give up i will bear this in mind for my battery charger.

It might be an idea to fill the end caps with something inert once the modification has been done, to prevent them collapsing should the fuse be extracted clumsily from the holder in future

I do know someone who (using very thin wire!) succesfully experimented with 'restuffing' unusual and rather old blown fuses, but admittedly they were low voltage medium current ones without a filling.

Dave
Old 27th Nov 2021, 5:46 pm   #5
John Caswell
Hexode

I often have to repair some American amplifiers that have the "KTK" type fuses in them which are by expensive (Audiophool land?).
I just tack solder a 20mm PCB mounting type fuse holder to the outside of the prongs as a temporary measure and fit a 20 mm fuse until the job is working to my satisfaction. I cannot see any reason why you could not do the same here and solder the 20mm fuse holder to the 32mm (1.25") fuse holder.

John
Old 27th Nov 2021, 6:17 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
-I do know someone who (using very thin wire!) succesfully experimented with 'restuffing' unusual and rather old blown fuses, but admittedly they were low voltage medium current ones without a filling.

Dave
As an impoverished student driving 'bangers' with dodgy electrical systems I would happily 'restuff' failed fuses using a few paralleled strands of wire stripped from a bit of flex. And yes I did the same by drilling-out the ends of failed BS1363-plug fuses, emptying out the sand, threading a bit of 15-Amp fusewire through, and soldering the ends to the caps.

That I'm still alive shows that such recklessness has its place.
Old 9th Jan 2022, 4:12 am   #7
FrankB
Heptode

The end caps can be filled with white sand and soldered on.
That is apparently what the Type 3ABC fuses used in microwave ovens and other military stuff here in the States use. (Same physical size as the 3AG, 3AGC, 3AGSB, or MDL series fuses).
Closed Thread