UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2022, 9:48 pm   #41
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: My HMV 109

We've both got exactly the same 'model 32' motor. Mine is fitted with 15ft springs, but some were fitted with 17ft springs and would probably manage 4 record sides - the springs are in series. It'll say on the barrel if you look closely - there'll be a little number 15 or 17 stamped on it, but you'll need to look closely to see it.

Are you absolutely sure that your governor is working correctly? From stationary with the speed control set in the middle 78 RPM position there should be a gap between the disc on the governor and the felt or leather pad. When the motor starts, the three balls will spin out and pull the disc along the inner shaft until it touches the brake pad and that's how it maintains its exact speed.
Old 16th May 2022, 10:02 am   #42
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
As to winding; I wind ten or thirteen times before I feel a, "After tight comes damn" tightness, this will give the table enough revs to spin one side of the record, I have had to give the handle a spin or two during the play, so I´m thinking that something is not right.
Your motor has two huge inch and a quarter springs, so it will take far more than thirteen winds to give enough power to play more than part of one side! Wind it until you feel resistance, then slowly wind until the handle will turn no more. It takes about 30 turns to wind the motor in my HMV 157, which has the same motor.

Barry
Old 17th May 2022, 8:10 pm   #43
Slammer
Pentode

Ok, slowly figuring things out. I wind around eight to ten times then get resistance. That is when I stop for fear of hearing a ZINNNNG! Winding on feels like something slipping and I can wind up to 28 times more until it won´t wind any further.
I have now played one whole record, A and B side and it still had enough puff to run for a few minutes more.

Having said that, I have these needles that are supposed to run for 10 sides, how do I know when a needle is past it?

By the way, did I mention that I love my "gram?"
Old 18th May 2022, 9:05 am   #44
Audio1950
Dekatron

Lets start again! Let the motor run right down, until the turntable stops under it's own steam. Now start winding. There should be no sound of "slipping", which would indicate a broken spring, so you should be able to wind about 30 turns before you begin to feel resistance. If you are getting resistance after eight to ten times, then there is something definitely wrong!

Needles that are "supposed" to play ten sides rarely do, and if they did, they would be so hard they would damage your records. "Ten sides per needle" is a bit bit of sales patter by the manufacturers. Discard them, and get the ordinary ones that are discarded after one side, or two if the record is not one of your favourites!
Old 18th May 2022, 6:20 pm   #45
Slammer
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio1950 View Post
Lets start again! Let the motor run right down, until the turntable stops under it's own steam. Now start winding. There should be no sound of "slipping", which would indicate a broken spring, so you should be able to wind about 30 turns before you begin to feel resistance. If you are getting resistance after eight to ten times, then there is something definitely wrong!

Needles that are "supposed" to play ten sides rarely do, and if they did, they would be so hard they would damage your records. "Ten sides per needle" is a bit bit of sales patter by the manufacturers. Discard them, and get the ordinary ones that are discarded after one side, or two if the record is not one of your favourites!
Well I´m going with "this repaired and reseated spring needed a few winds to find it´s groove...!" (little gram joke there) I can now wind it smoothly 28 times before I feel resistance. I had gathered that these 10 side needles were a bit over the top from reading the forum and indeed old Betriebsanleitungen.
I also have found some ruined records from my mothers collection, so I konw what that sounds like. pity really as they were from Vera Lynn.
Closed Thread