UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Oct 2009, 11:11 pm   #21
julieblinx
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Removing old Sellotape deposits from plastic surfaces

b&q its called slovit if your useing this on shrlack it will lift that as well ok on french polish.
Old 28th Oct 2009, 2:08 am   #22
Graeme Murphy
Tetrode

You are right there Ken, nothing like a bit of alcohol to remove gum residue.
If it is really stubborn then try a drop of alcohol on a bit of Duraglit !
Old 28th Oct 2009, 10:00 am   #23
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Trip to the local motor factors - a squirt of either Carburettor cleaner, or Brake cleaner - normally shifts most things
Old 28th Oct 2009, 10:50 am   #24
Oldtestgear
Hexode

I use a scraper from Machine Mart that holds the single sided razor blades. With label remover (usually from CPC) and a little time this removes everythinmg the blade comes into contact with. Ideal for the hard stuff that will not come off any other way.

Think it was designed to scrape off gasket residue but it does work on most smooth surfaces without gouging.

FWIW

Phil
Old 28th Oct 2009, 12:57 pm   #25
chriswood1900
Octode

I also use the technique from Phil of using a razor blade at the corect angle to scrape without cutting into the plastic, followed by a cleanup with label remover and a polish with Brasso. Alternatively I have used fine wet and dry followed with a polish using Tcut on smooth surfaces.
Old 29th Oct 2009, 12:21 pm   #26
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Removing old Sellotape deposits from plastic surfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
Trip to the local motor factors - a squirt of either Carburettor cleaner, or Brake cleaner - normally shifts most things

Plus-Gas might work as well. If the tape still had some of its sticky properties, one way I have used is, after removing the top plastic layer, to then apply the same type of tape to the adhesive layer and dap it to amalgamate the two tapes. This will pull off the adhesive from the surface.

G
Old 30th Oct 2009, 2:53 pm   #27
hmv1944
Tetrode

My experience is that Windolene is a very good water-based solvent for all sorts of glue and adhesive deposits. It will remove Evo-Stik, the insoluble adhesives used for some bottle labels and will soften paraffin wax. Wonderful stuff!
Old 4th Nov 2009, 8:50 am   #28
Billy T
Retired Dormant Member

I too have found that citrus-based solvents are excellent for removing a wide range of adhesive and other deposits without harming the base material. Sometimes you have to leave them for several hours or even days, but it doesn't seem to evaporate much and if soaked into cottonwool it can be left sitting on the surface for ages.

As in all things vintage, patience is everything and I wouldn't use a sharp blade or any other kind of scraper until or unless all other options were exhausted. You may be able to polish out damage, but the different patina will always show.

Cheers

Billy
Old 4th Nov 2009, 12:03 pm   #29
paulsherwin

I'm now fairly certain that the plasticisers have migrated into some of the dried on deposits, making solvent removal impossible. Lots of elbow grease and T-Cut has made a big improvement though, and the damage is no longer obvious.

Thanks for all suggestions. This thread will be useful for future reference.

Paul
Old 4th Nov 2009, 5:35 pm   #30
OErjan_S
Retired Dormant Member

Limonene or Limonene+alcohol is one I have successfully, another is menthol+alcohol.
Old 4th Nov 2009, 6:35 pm   #31
YT2095UK
Retired Dormant Member

funny you should should mention plasticisers, PIB (polyisobutylene/ polybutene) a plasticiser in Blue Tack, is also a great cleaning tool, it`s not the PIB in it, its the very fine powdery grit or whatever it is they put in it that does the job.
it acts as a very gentle abrasive (not unlike T cut).
I`v used blue tack for all sorts of removals, it may help for some finer work or on clear plastics.

Last edited by YT2095UK; 4th Nov 2009 at 6:40 pm.
Closed Thread