UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2020, 8:14 pm   #1
osx86apple
Pentode

Default Best method of removing paint spots

Hi everyone

Just purchased a Hacker Herald, luckily in quite good condition except some old paint spots in the vinyl and on the dial, what’s everyone’s best tried and tested methods to remove them safely? Warm soapy water doesn’t seem to be cutting it for me !

Thanks
Old 19th Jun 2020, 8:47 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Best method of removing paint spots

It depends what sort of paint it is. If it's emulsion paint, which seems to be the most common (caused by using a paint roller that creates spray), methylated spirit should remove it, but make sure it doesn't damage the surface by testing on a non-critical area first.
Old 19th Jun 2020, 9:10 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

When originally found the paint spots would be dry and brittle and may have responded to carefully picking each one of with a pin. I'm not sure now the liquid may softened the spots now.

John.
Old 20th Jun 2020, 9:19 am   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

Would a fingernail be gentle enough on the vinyl? If not you could always soften them by doing the washing up beforehand.
Dave
Old 20th Jun 2020, 9:38 am   #5
HG MICKE
Pentode

I have used Home Strip paint and varnish remover to remove paint spots on an old Danset without damaging the Rexine. Home strip is water based and solvent free won't harm your skin. Just a small amount on each paint spot and after a short time wipe off with a damp cloth.

Colin
Old 20th Jun 2020, 1:52 pm   #6

Emulsion, that responds to good old water after a few days, apply a moist tissue, cover in cling film and wait.

Old 20th Jun 2020, 7:49 pm   #7
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I've been using Halfords de-icer spray for this job https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=165593. It does not dissolve the paint, but seems to reduce the adhesion of the spots. so you can then "push" them off. Not had any adverse effects on materials so far, but proceed with due care.

B
Old 21st Jun 2020, 8:26 am   #8
osx86apple
Pentode

Thank you for the suggestions everyone, I ended up braving it and using some methylated spirits and a cotton swab to gently soften them - worked well and didn’t do any damage ��
Closed Thread