UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2014, 11:56 am   #21
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Modern paints & varnishes (inc 'Hammerite')

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
It's easy and cathartic to gripe about how "environmental" and "H+S" considerations make it difficult to do a decent job and can even end up being self-defeating but I expect that plenty of firemen and A+E workers could also present excellent arguments as to why the wrong (useful!) things should be kept out of the wrong (inadequate!) hands
While we may all moan about "H&S" at times, there are certainly some solvents whose reduction of general availability must be seen as a good thing.

Examples: Carbon Tetrachloride (once the standard solution used in dry-cleaning, the basic ingredient of "Dabitoff" stain-remover, and also "Thawpit" degreaser and many brands of switch-cleaner!). Poisonous by inhalation, it's a cumulative liver-toxin.

Also, Benzene: which was still widely used as a grease-remover and also as a 'general organic solvent' in my late-1970s student-days in biochemistry labs. Chronic exposure leads to destruction of the bone-marrow, and an increased likelihood of malignancies.
Old 21st Jul 2014, 6:15 pm   #22
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Modern paints & varnishes (inc 'Hammerite')

I use paint for some of my work projects either inside when I have build a cabinet , or outside when I have been restoring windows .
I have got used to water based paints and on the whole find them more pleasant to use ,especially when cleaning up afterwards .I also find i can do more than one coat in a day which is very convenient .
I find the interior paint though generally inferior to earlier products mainly due to wearability and sometimes finish produced by it .But it depends on the brand.F and b interior eggshell and flat water based finishes are probably the best .
Externally I would never use F & B .... The best I have used are either D weather shield or even better Sad olin which can be tinted to a colour . You can see a sash window repair I did in 2006 or 7 i think in my profile pics .This has not needed repainting yet ..But half of it is preparation and number of coats given .
Probably the best external paint is of course lead based !
Closed Thread