UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2014, 1:26 pm   #1
Guybrush
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs down Bush VHF 62 restoration project - Wood type

Hello,

I've started the restoration project of an beautiful VHF62. It is my first radio restoration project and iI've a question .

The radio working OK. The main problem is that the wood case has many scratches and the wood and brass bezel is broken in some places.

After looking for some wood sheets to replace the upper and lower bezel but iI'm not sure about the wood type. I'm thinking about sapele, or red oak. Any suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance

Pablo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (1).jpg
Views:	175
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	93058   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (1).jpg
Views:	160
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	93059   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	93060  
Old 18th May 2014, 10:37 am   #2
brenellic2000
Octode

Default Re: Bush VHF 62 restoration project - Wood type

Looks more like Italian walnut. Red Oak is a relatively recent timber not normally used in veneers.

When assessing a veneer dampen it with a wet finger to see what it looks like when 'varnished'.
Old 23rd May 2014, 9:44 pm   #3
marconi_pete
Hexode

I'd definitely say it looks like Walnut. Just checked my own VHF62 and it's definitely not red oak. How are your woodworking skills? If attempting to do the repair yourself, when taking out the scratches, try not to sand it down too much as the top layer is incredibly thin. Other than that you can't really go wrong.
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:27 pm   #4
paulsherwin

It may be better to replace all the veneers given the state it's in. It all depends on your level of woodworking skill and experience.
Old 24th May 2014, 9:40 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Or, looking at it at it the other way, accept it won't be perfect and go for a simple approach: some colour-matched wood filler, a scrub with white spirit/foam cleaner, followed by woodstain to disguise the scratches in the finish, then some Danish oil or wax to give it a sheen, leaving the original finish in situ.

Nick.
Closed Thread