UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2014, 9:05 am   #1
Graham1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Restore 121 wooden case

What is the best thing for stripping the varnish off the case and the what do I use to restore finish.
I hope someone can help please
Old 13th May 2014, 8:11 pm   #2
kevcurr63
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Restore 121 wooden case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1 View Post
What is the best thing for stripping the varnish off the case and the what do I use to restore finish.
I hope someone can help please
If it helps at all, in the past I often used chemical varnish remover, nitromors or similar especially for hard woods, rather than using a heat gun stripper, inadvertent over use of heat can effect glued joins or even discolour the wood by ‘cooking’ the varnish into the surface. The advantage of the chemical stripper is with a little perseverance it will remove varnish relatively cleanly both from the surface and recesses for hinges and so forth, though it may take more time and several applications.

Use a shave hook always in the same direction of the wood grain, to remove the softened varnish layers, once all the varnish and stripper have been removed, finish with a light sand, then use fine wire wool to buff and remove any small traces in the wood grain.

If the bare wood has patches of age discolouration an amount of judicious even sanding using a fine grade should even out the tone of surface. If you intend to re varnish, I prefer using several coats of solvent based clear varnish, once fully dry then use bees wax, though instead of varnish you could use bees wax directly, either gives a depth to the appearance to wood grain.
Old 13th May 2014, 8:12 pm   #3
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Graham,

have you tried the search facility at the top of the page for 'remove varnish.
It gives many hits.

Also there is a forum here for Cabinet and Chassis Restoration.

Good Luck - Mike
Old 13th May 2014, 8:53 pm   #4
kevcurr63
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Graham, I also should said I also use the long leading edge of a flexible stainless steel strip as a scraper on larger flat surfaces, it removes varnish much more evenly, much better than a shave hook. But Mike is right there are a number of posts on the forum that would be worth a read.
regards
Kev
Old 13th May 2014, 8:59 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

These cases are made from very good quality, solid hardwood so are quite easy to work with.

I used Nitromors + various scrapers/shave hooks and wire wool, and re-finished with wax.

However, you should establish that the original finish is beyond saving before stripping it off!

Nick.
Old 13th May 2014, 10:21 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Incidentally, what is a 121? To me it means a wooden wall-mounted telephone. I ask mainly to get an idea of the size and nature of the surfaces involved.

Also, I go along with Nick that stripping existing finish is a last resort ... but we all have different views on such matters - which have been aired in detail on these forums before!
Old 13th May 2014, 10:29 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I assumed it was a phone, Dave, but I could be wrong!
Old 14th May 2014, 10:05 am   #8
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Graham,

I, and I am sure others, would appreciate some 'before' photos.

And eventually some 'after' ones.

Thanks - Mike
Old 14th May 2014, 10:56 am   #9
Graham1
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks for all your help I am new at this, and want them to look good. They were sold a spare parts. Photo as requested
Regards
Graham
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phones.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	92958  
Closed Thread